In My Neighborhood in 33908>Question Details

Angela Ditar…, Home Buyer in Fort Myers, FL

I LOVE THIS AREA,BUT THERE ARE MANY HOMES BUILT WITH CHINEESE DRY WALL. RIGHT THATS SCARY.

Asked by Angela Ditaranto, Fort Myers, FL Fri Jun 1, 2012

Answers

10
Angela

Yes I understand your concerns. But Chinese drywall is not confine to Lee county but is actually a national problem. Perhaps you hear more about Cape Coral and Fort Myers a lot it was a very popular area and rated very high before the housing bubble broke, and one of the top 10 places to move to in the country, So we were having a constriction boom and used a lot of drywall from all over. This was the reason the area was rated high in foreclosure, people moved here because of the area interest. We are talking between the years of 2002 to about 2007. NOT ALL HOMES HAS It. I have sold homes built during this period without any defective drywall.

Another thing you should know, many of those homes with defective drywall, have been brought at a discount and remodel taken all the defective drywall out along with the wiring and pluming and replace with good drywall, wiring and plumbing. Many times documentations is provided with the sales as what was done. There is also a seller disclosure that is provided to the potential buyers. .

It now been 5 years, and many newer homes have been built since. Prices are very good and interest rates reasonably low. You can also have a new home built within 3 months to 8, if this is the way you want to go,

I would not be as concerns as I was 4 years ago. As a realtor, I was affected too and have not ben the last year.

Hope this helps you. Remember, you are going to have the property inspected, even if the house was just built as a second opinion and for peace of mind.

Hope this helps you Angela. Good luck in your searching and do not be too worried.

Remember: “Pictures without ALL the information are never the total picture and always the entire story ~!” Realtor Ron W ..”Pictures being shown, are attention gotcha, use to draw your interest. The rest, the information, will help you decide. Where that information comes from is IMPORTANT to you, and it may not all be on the listing information! Hire an agent that will get you the missing pieces. Then when you actually view the property; have it inspected, when everything begins to fall into place since you had a pre-approval letter or proof of funds ready done for the seller’s hands when making your offer. Sellers and Banks expect this information, before reviewing yours or any offers. Do not lose out by not having this or a Realtor® that is not the listing agent that serves the seller. Remember, the seller pays the commission!! You Get to choose your Realtor®!”

click here View and learn about the area by pictures and videos> http://pinterest.com/realtorronw/

click here To read good article, see videos, maps, live cams and more about Lee County>

http://rwolchesky.wordpress.com/

Until next time Angela, my Best and happy home searching,

Ronald (Realtor Ron W) Wolchesky
"Success is when we work together to achieve your GOAL!"
License in Florida
Home: 239-349-4684
We purchased a home in Casa del Lago in 2008 and were quite concered about chinese drywall. We had a thorough inspection and were happy to find out that it was not used in our home (which was built in 2005).

We now have that home up for sale and we're confident that it will pass another inspection with no problems.

If anyone is interested the address is:
7388 Sika Deer Way
Fort Myers, FL 33966

There is an open house this Saturday, April 6th from 10am to 2pm.
I love the area too, I think it's one of Fort Myers best hidden secrets. Where else can you find a boulevard that has a beautiful canopy of trees that line it, along with nicely landscaped communities. It also has a great location, close to shopping, dining, entertainment, major roadways, the airport and now The New Boston Red Sox Stadium : ) I can understand how you'd be concerned with the chinese drywall. Chinese drywall is mostly found in homes built in 2005 & 2006 and maybe a few in 2007. This all came about because there was a shortage of drywall here in America due to the abundance of homes being built at the height of the market and having to rebuild because of Katrina. It's pretty safe to say if you buy a newer home like the one I have listed that was built in 2012 your chances of having Chinese Drywall are very unlikely. They started discovering the Drywall around 4-5 years back so the builders made sure to recognize the drywall and eliminate it from any new houses they built.
I would highly recommend if you're considering buying a home 2008 and earlier to have it inspected for the drywall and even if it's built after that, the home inspectors will usually make it a point to still do a visual inspection. Home inspections are the best investment a home buyer can make along with working with an experience Realtor. If you have any other concerns or questions about anything, feel free to shoot me an email or call me at your convenience.
The truth is Angela, any homes that had drywall work done on it between 2002 and 2008 could contained Chinese Drywall. Even a house built in 1995! Also, understand this is a national issue not only one contained to Florida.

Some ways to lessen your legitimate concerns are:

when you submit your offer, be certain a seller disclosure is requested.

You can also ask about other houses in the area if they are recently built, if there been any Chinese Drywall found. It won’t entirely rule out your property of interest, but should lessen your concerns.

In addition, the agent you are working with, should do research on past permits issued on worked done,

Lastly and a must, with any property you buy, regardless of conditions, “Trust and Verify!”
Have the house inspected. The building inspector I refer my clients to, all check the history on the house prior to doing the inspection too. They will pay added attention here. Also, you can request the testing for chense drywall for an added fee which varies by house size and some are even included in the inspection.

Angela , you can also get a better understanding of Chinese Drywall on my web blog, mark “video”. The bottom video should help. http://www.rwolchesky.wordpress.com

I hope this help you. Do not hesitate to ask more questions. Thanks for asking.

Remember: “Pictures without the information is never the whole and true story ~!” Realtor Ron W

Ronald Wolchesky
239-349-4684
Rwolchesky@advantarealty.com
Hi Angela,

You are being very smart to be concerned about chinese drywall but don't let it scare you away from purchasing. Lots of homes built between 2004 and 2008 have the defective drywall but alot of them don't. In the last year I have had buyers in contract and we cancelled when the inspector found chinese drywall in just 1 room in both of the houses. Some homes are built with all chinese drywall and others (like the 2 I just mentioned) just have a small amount of it.

Also, keep in mind that homes that had major repairs done after the storms may have chinese drywall as well. The most important thing you can do is work with an experienced agent who will assist you with finding the right home and writing the contract correctly. In the event you find the right home you can have your inspections done and then in the event the home does turn out to have any of the defective drywall you can cancel your contract to purchase.

Feel free to call me or email me directly if I can be of further assistance.

Terry McCarley, Realtor®, CDPE
Jones & Co Realty
email: leecountyrealtor@earthlink.net
ph: 239-707-4575
While it is reasonably easy to detect the use of CDW, some of the more troublesome factors are that a home could have been built using CDW throughtout the entire building or have only one sheet. Also, one needs to take into consideration that homes built before the "building boom" and presumably "safe", may have been remodeled or renovated during the time when CDW was flooding our market. A thorough knowledge of the property's history should clarify such issues.

The good news is that for the cost of a professional property inspection you can get a fairly accurate determination as to the presence of CDW (or any other problems) before finalizing a purchase.

For more info on Chinese Drywall visit my blog page on the subject;
.
http://kathycardet.blogspot.com/p/basics-of-chinese-drywall.html
.
Testing and disclosures have come a long way in the last few years. Don't let that stop you from getting your dream home. I would be happy to be your guide through the process.

Linda Tuffree
239-233-7077
live in zip code area 33908 and know the area well

http://www.swfloridaproperty4sale.com
Hi Angela,
I have sold a few homes that have been remediated Chinese Drywall and the homeowners are perfectly happy in their newly remodeled home. I have also sold a few that were remodeled by the builder after closing. There are many stories like this. Call me and I can help you find the home that is right for you?

Kindest Regards,
Pam Wittenauer
http://www.realtyinswflorida.com
Residential and Commercial Realtor
Krise Commercial Group
239-989-7077
Angela,

I think you're smart to be concerned about Chinese Drywall. Probably in a few years, solutions will be found for these homes, but until then it is a bit of a gamble to buy one. (Information on the problem can be found below.) Stick to homes built before 2002, and you won't need to worry as much.

Ann
Hi if the home was built in or around the 2005 to 2009 their is a chance the dry wall is tainted.
But it can be corrected and many homes have been bought and have had them remediated call me we can see what is out there that fits your needs.
guy