In My Neighborhood in 61036>Question Details

Sue Stevens, Home Buyer in Galena, IL

I HAVE NOTICED THAT ALOT OF THE HOMES FOR SALE IN THE GALENA AREA HAVE WOOD FOR HEATING HOW DOES THAT WORK WHEN ONE IS NOT AT HOME I VE ALWAYS HAD

Asked by Sue Stevens, Galena, IL Sat Feb 11, 2012

GAS HEAT THANK YOU S STEVENS

Answers

3
Sue: I am a real estate agent in Galena. For some reason this website often states that the heating system is wood. I think what they are referring to is the fireplace (as opposed to gas). I don't know why this is happening but thanks for pointing it out. I'll check my listings and get that corrected. Let me know what houses you are interested in and I will let you know what type of heating system it has.
Agreed. In rural NY, here wood is king, but nearly everyone has backup central heat. Woodstoves will hold adequate heat overnight or while you are at work. Outdoor furnaces may hold it even longer. Virtually none will take care of a weekend away, much less a vacation.
Sue even though i am not in Galena, here in NH once you venture to teh suburban or rural area most homes are heated very similar by wood. Most home sdo have a central heating system whoch most use as a back up and even though they keep their stoves stoked all winter. You should note some forms of mortgages will not gove a mortgage unless there is a central heating source that does come on automatically whether oil, gas or even electric baseboard. Check with your loan officer as well for what their criteria is
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com