In My Neighborhood in 30106>Question Details

Karen Rodrig…, Home Buyer in Cobb County, GA

How is this area honestly? Was it affected by the floods? Could that happen again or has the problem been fixed? Is there a lot of crime?

Asked by Karen Rodriguez, Cobb County, GA Wed Feb 9, 2011

Answers

7
Ms. P’s answer
Karen,
If you are still looking in Austell, I advise you to see the properties first. I know for a fact that the homes on Egret Ct and Cypress Cove were hit by the flood and WILL be hit again. I know because I live off the same street. I saw the damage done, I could see homes under water from my back deck. I was not affected and not all houses in Austell were affected. Its a good area if you take the time too look.
Be careful.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 26, 2012
Hello Karen,
The area in itself is a pretty good area.However, the flood did affect the homes as well as the city. It could possibly happen again. At this moment there have not been any indication of fixing the problem. Crime is everywhere. Austell has a pretty low crime rate compared to some of the other cities in Cobb County. I hope this answered your question! Call me if I can be of any assistance.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 26, 2012
Hello Karen,
Home values in Austell used to be in the low side compared to other Cobb County cities even before the floods. Due to the floods values went even lower. The flood caused lots of damage but there was nothing that needed fixing to prevent the damages. It was just an act of nature! Crime records can be found on line.

Carmen Gutierrez
Marietta Realtor
Solid Souce Realty
Hi Karen,

Both good questions - I am working with an investor in this Austell/ Powder Springs/ Mableton area right now. I am in the process of getting info to build a map showing exactly which streets were flooded. Even though Cobb Watershed Management tells me it was a "500 year occurance", (FEMA talk) my investor does not want to buy any flooded properties and I agree with him until more can be learned. Case Shiller shows the low price market in Cobb getting hammered month after month - so picking good long term deals requires expertise and care - and you want to reduce unknowns like the flooded areas present. My concern is that it could flood again, and my concern is how that event will affect insurance rates and price appreciation going forward? We prefer to stay far away from the flood areas.

As for your home search method - I would suggest using direct feeds from Atlanta Broker sites like mine, and stay away from third party MLS feeds like Redfin, Truia, Zillow, etc - they are not up to date and the comps on sites like Zillow are usually way off.

I am more than quailfied to help you gain a lot more information about this or any property so you can make choices that result in a sound purchase. In addition to being the Broker/Owner of my realty company, I am also an experienced ICC Certified Building Inspection Expert with over 25 years experience with home building and construction. One of the many extra service I provide to better inform and protect buyers are free structural and major system evaluations of EVERY home you are interested in.

IF you are qualified for a loan, and IF you are not being represented by a Buyers Agent, I would be happy to help you see some of the great deals available.

For more information about the many unmatched benefits of my Wise Buyer Program - see the site below.

To take advantage of this fantastic program, ask questions, or get sound advice, simply contact me at your convenience. I would be happy to talk with you anytime!

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner - Realtor
Professional Buyers Broker
Relocation Expert
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspection Expert
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
877-787-7167
“I Go The Extra Mile For Every Client - For No Extra Fee!"
This is the house I wanted more information on the area. Thank you!
http://www.redfin.com/GA/Austell/5966-Tate-Dr-30106/home/25292430
Karen -

If you have a address it can be looked up for you. If you want me to look it up just shoot me an email.

John Reinhardt
REALTOR
Solid Source Realty

770.473.1130 Ext. 6806
Karen,
I'm afraid your question is a bit too broad. Many parts of the greater Atlanta area were affected by the heavy rains in the fall of 2009. Reports indicate that it was a 500 year flood scenario.

You can refer to Cherokee County's website for specific information on Woodstock, its schools, median salary info and demographics. You may find crime statistics there but I would recommend requesting the information from the local police station.

If you have a house or a neighborhood in mind, it would be easier for them to narrow down the results. If you need additional assistance, please let me know.

Stacy Carter
Associate Broker
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers