Jim, Other/Just Looking in Doylestown, PA

How is Morrisville, pa? Up and coming or down and out?

Asked by Jim, Doylestown, PA Mon Jun 22, 2009

Just looking for some info about the area. What do you think?

Answers

9
Update, 2014. RUN as fast and far away from Morrisville as possible. My husband and I lived there for about a year after our home purchase fell through and we shopped for a new place. It's horrible. Really 80% slum, 10% Blue Collar and 10% nice houses on about three nice streets from fifty years ago -- which is really a shame. One of the happiest days of my life was when we drove out of Morrisville for the last time. In reference to the original question; Morrisville is NOTHING like Doylestown.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 12, 2014
I purchased a house in Morrisville about 2 and a half years ago, in Grandview estates. I come from the Jersey shore and I have to say I just LOVE this little town! It has everything you could possibly want so very close, shopping, parks, history, culture, the Delaware river! You can say that in every single town in this entire country there are good places and there are bad places. For as long as you look, you will never find anyplace to settle that is all good. I think that Morrisville has a lot to offer people, i think while the boro maybe old, I think that its perfect just the way it is. oh and the drive up the Delaware from morrisville is probably one of the most beautiful i have ever seen!
19067 is Morrisville, but the same zip serves Lower Makefield Twp and Falls Twp. as well as Morrisville Boro. Looking at any home in 19067, you must find out what munincipality it actually is. This house is Falls Twp, Pennsbury Sch Dist

Tom, local resident, and near this home.
Morrisville "is what it is". There are nice neighborhoods and there are some not so nice areas. I don't like the one's South of US1 and right there in town near the bridge. But if you head a few blocks North or Northwest, Morrisville has some good housing at very reasonable prices.

The town's challenge, as others have said, is it's school district. For some people, this doesn't matter as much, and so they may wish to consider one of the nicer areas of Morrisville and get a great Victorian home on the cheap.

But ... there are areas of Lower Makefield (also known as Yardley by some) that are right next door, nearly walking distance from Morrisville, that have reasonably-priced homes. And Lower Makefield has the Pennsbury school district, which is very well regarded. I forget the exact ranking but it's a good one.

http://www.pennsbury.k12.pa.us/pennsbury/

My bottom line advice is to go there and drive around a few times, and see for yourself. Talk to people there too. Don't be shy. I think some of the areas in Morrisville are absolutely charming little neighborhoods and I wouldn't rule out buying there, but I view things as an investor and won't be raising a family.

Figure out where the line is between Lower Makefield and Morrisville. This might help:
http://knowthisplace.com/pa/lower-bucks-pa-map/

Oh! And one more thing - since you live in Doylestown, you know what Earned Income Tax is, but is varies by municipality. Check out my blog and there's a link there to the official site where you can lookup the EIT for anywhere in PA. http://www.trulia.com/blog/jefferson/2009/12/buying_in_nj_do…

Jeff
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 20, 2009
Down and out. I personally wouldn't choose to raise children here unless they are private-schooled. It's a decent town for single renters.
Jim:
Morrisville is an old town. It has not had significant new construction since 1950 and could be called “built out.” The town has a large “lower middle class” stock of housing, a much smaller “middle income” section and some “professional” class homes of the 1920s.

It borders on Falls and Lower Makefield Townships. Falls ranges from Levittown to more substantial homes and Makefield pretty much is all substantial. They share a well-respected school system but not with Morrisville, which has it’s own school system. Unfortunately, with a population just over 10,000 (2000 census,) the high school is small and has limited options for it’s students. The fact that the system is supported by a smaller business community means that taxes can be higher than in surrounding communities.

I don’t think Morrisville is going places. I don’t think it has to. There are a few decent places to eat and a couple of supermarkets and the usual portion of bars, beauty salons and other establishments. Transportation is good with access to trains to NYC and Philly nearby, along with route 1 and close access to I-95.

Trenton is just across the river and used to be more of an asset than it is today but you do have access to NJ transportation and the county over there (Mercer) along with Lower Bucks in PA offer just about anything you can imagine you might need.

I would worry much less about where Morrisville is headed and worry far more about where I was, if I were you. If you find a house you like in Morrisville or Levittown or a large, expensive home in Upper Makefield with room for horses that is you personal lifestyle taste, go for it. None of the areas looks to be changing very rapidly.

Bill Holt Licensed in NJ & PA
I am looking to buy in Yardley or Newtown. We liked Morrisville's housing stock, but the school and taxes make it too risky for us.
Jim

Morrisville is a great town. It has gotten some bad press, mostly related to its school district. We advise you to do your own research on that matter if school districts are important to you. You can buy a lot of house for the money in Morrisville however the real estate taxes tend to be a little higher than in some surrounding communities, for similar priced homes. It is convienent to route 1 and I95 also an easy commute to NYC from the Trenton train station. We have represented many buyers and sellers in Morrisville and would be happy to help you. We live and work in the Yardley/Morrisville area and know it well. Do not hesitate to contact us for additional information.
Web Reference: http://www.franandmark.com
If you mean Morrisville Borough (19067) it is a very small quaint town along the N. E. Corridor.
The Lehigh Valley offers other areas that would be more up and coming.
If you would like to see some homes in these areas please give us a call.

Elizabeth (Betty) and Jonathan Bonomo
Weichert Realtors
267-265-8320
267-307-9985