Aortiz1, Home Buyer in Upper West Side, New...

How hard is it to park around the area . My wife and I have 2 cars. Thanks for any info

Asked by Aortiz1, Upper West Side, New York, NY Wed May 2, 2012

Answers

11
Hi Aortiz1
are you any closer to start your search for a home? If so shoot me your direct email so
we can get started. good luck
madelinepadovano@fillmore.com
Parking is very hard in and around Park Slope. However, if you really...really .....really need both cars--you should consider purchasing a garage condo or rent parking.
PARKING IS ONLY GOOD IF YOU HAVE A GARAGE OR DRIVE WAY, I DON'T RECOMMEND TO OWN A CAR IF U PLAN TO PARK IN THE STREETS IN PARK SLOPE. BETTER TO TAKE CAR SERVICE OR MASS TRANSITS. NOTICE YOU HARDLY SEE A DRIVE WAY OR GARAGE IN THE SLOPE, SO YOU ARE COMPETING WITH EVERYONE FOR A SPOT, YOU WILL BE CIRCLING AROUND THE BLOCKS SEVERAL TIMES EACH DAY. IT'S CAN BE A NIGHT MARE.
My husband and I have lived in the slope for thirty years. We have two cars and have very little problems parking the cars. It should be noted that it depends on where you live in this neighborhood.
If you live near a train or a large commerical bldg. you might find it difficult to park. However on most residental blocks it is not that hard to find a spot. Most houses do not have driveways. That means there is more parking than in many blocks where there are driveways as you can not block other peoples driveways.
I've done a lot of work in Park Slope and I almost always drive, and I always find parking.

My secret is a Mini Cooper! I am also happy to walk and often park in Prospect Heights where parking is much easier.

There is also an application for smart phones that allows you to keep track of where you park. I always make a mental note as well.

I would definitely get rid of one of the cars, though. Parking in New York City is a nuisance you don't need more of in your life.

Karla Harby
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
New York, NY
kharby@crrnyc.com
212-688-1000x146
Hi Aortiz
As previously stated quite difficult..you will have to pay extra for a garage, unless your buying a
house with a garage or a coop/condo with a parking spot again it would be extra. What are you planning on buying because there aremany nearby neighborhoods that might offer more alternatives.
when you are closer to buying and have a figure in mind send me your email and I will research
your possibilites for you. Good luck.
madelinepadovano@fillmore.com
Thanks for all the great responses. I'm still a year or so away from moving so I'm starting to think about different areas. I have raced a few times in Prospect Park and Central Park so I know that I want to be close enough to either park. I am an avid triathlete and either area is perfect for me to get some biking and running in. As for the 2 car thing, that is something we'll have to figure out. Maybe leave a car at country house etc. We will definitely need to keep one vehicle where ever we decide to live because my wife would be commuting to Manhassett,Long Island Mon-Fri.
I really loved the vibe of the Park Slope area and I appreciate the input.
consider giving up 1 or both of the vehicles if you don't use them regularly. Find a local Zip car location which may solve your problem
Dear Aortiz1:

Given that most of the homes in Park Slope do not have off-street parking, you have to plan very strategically how you will find parking spaces. Many people in the neighborhood do not even have a car let alone two. Park Slope is so commuter friendly that most residents feel that they do not need a car. Is there any reason why you would be adverse to public transportation?

If you want to discuss this further or need additional help, feel free to contact me. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
My neighborhood...lol!!! I hate to tell you this my friend, but in Park Slope parking is diffucult and a garage... A luxury. I find it a magnificent trade offf to be in the best neighborhood in NYC. My advice to you:

Get to know your neighbors and the alternate side of the street rules. People help each other with parking when they live on the same block here (most of the time). The meters there are expensive and some areas only allot an hour at a time. Get a Muni Meter card. It will save you from fumbling around for change.

The majority here commute to work (mostly Manhattan) and have one car. Pick the car you like best and put the other on Craigslist. :-)
Since no link is visible, consider visiting the area more than once and at different times times of day, see all firsthand; possibly chat with with locals/neighbors...