In My Neighborhood in 94087>Question Details

Rk0330, Home Buyer in Sunnyvale, CA

How good is this Laurelwood elementary and peterson middle schools. Even though they have good schools why are they not usually preferred ?

Asked by Rk0330, Sunnyvale, CA Mon May 21, 2012

Answers

8
http://www.greatschools.org is a good website to compare schools. Some parents like to focus on a school's API score (Academic Performance Index) which are results achieved through State testing. In my opinion, a school is only as good as the children who tested there - that year. California Department of Education link: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/ac/ap/ provides API information for it's schools as well as a Parents Guide that might be of help to you.
Hi Rk,
Laurelwood and Peterson are good schools. There are two main reasons why Cupertino schools are preferred. The first is (as I mentioned in my answer to another buyer's question asking about Lorne Way), Cupertino High is significantly higher in API than Wilcox High. The second is as long as you get into any school in the Cupertino Union School District, you have potential access to either one of the four special schools or any of the other neighborhood schools in the district through an open enrollment / lottery system.
Although not familiar with your particular area in CA I would like to respond with some insights

When it comes to schools much needs to be considered by the parents, what do they think they need in a school for THEIR children, i.e. more arts or science programs etc., other available programs outside of the academics...

So it is the parents who should consider their individual children's needs....

If as a buyer you need to decide on where to buy, there are school reports on the internet, you can read
and compare and then make a determination what is best for YOUR children.

The other info I like to pass on to my buyer clients is that school districts sometimes change, the population
around the schools obviously continuously changes, and so do the schools and their report cards as well.

So it is the most difficult question to be asked.....

I hope this puts the subject a little bit into perspective....

And since at Trulia the question is posed to Realtors, we should advise all buyers to do their research, visit the schools, talk to other school parents, read the report cards on the internet and then decide...

Good Luck to you...
Edith YourRealtor4Life! and Chicago, N. Illinois & NorthShore Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com http://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
Hello RK0330 and thanks for your post.

As the others have already noted, if you are a buyer's whose chief concern is to find schools with the highest API in your price range and choice of geographical region, the Bensons are correct that the elementary and middle school's API scores are attractive, but the high school's scores--compared with other high schools in the area--can cause the API conscious buyer to choose another location that incorporates a combination of either Sunnyvale or Cupertino schools and Cupertino (API 884) or Homestead (API 880) HS.

Since there are many comparable homes in Sunnyvale and portions of Santa Clara that feed into Homestead and Cupertino, there are options for those parents who really want to send their children specific schools from Elementary through High School.

Choosing a home--like choosing education for your family--is a highly personal decision and one that should be made with your family members in mind, rather than simply looking at API scores.

Choose a great home with a great agent, and I promise you won't go wrong! Good luck!!

Grace Moroka
Area Pro Realty-People's Choice
Rk0330,
It is not they they are not preferred, as homes in this area are selling quickly, and appreciating. However, as mentioned by the other agents the Cupertino High Schools, Fremont and Homestead, particularly Homestead have higher scores and that makes the homes feeding into to them more expensive.
Marcy Moyer
DRE 01191194
Web Reference: http://www.marcymoyer.com
The word" Good" is subjective. What are you looking for in a school? Do you have children? What grades. You will want to look at each grade and how their ratings fit your desire for your children.

Each family has a different criteria and even looking at the demographics you can see the variety of API score. Academics, sports, special ed, arts, math, science.... where do you want your children to focus?

Have an amazing day!
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
Laurelwood is very good, API is 926, and Peterson's is 863. The reason they are not as highly sought after as say, Cupertino schools, or Cherry Chase/Homestead is because of the lower API score on the high school Adrian Wilcox which is in the 700's. But both Laurelwood and Peterson are excellent schools as told to me from the parents of several students who attended there. I am going to be listing a home in the Laurelwood school district which is an expanded home, about 2000 sq.ft. and is a 4/3.
Let me know if you'd like to see it before it hits the MLS.
Hi Rk0330,,

Its a personal choice a Buyer makes when buying their home, whether Laurelwood Elem, & Peterson Middle are fine for them, or not, these are good schools........This block of Sunnyvale homes have the Cupertino Schools - Stocklemier Elem & Cupertino Middle, and then halfway down change to Santa Clara Schools you mentioned above....its a personal preference and also a price point affordability factor.....this is a good neighborhood and schools.
Do get in touch with me if you are not working with a Realtor.
Be well and Safe, regards,
Nina Daruwalla
DRE#01712223