In My Neighborhood in 94044>Question Details

Carolyn Kels…, Home Buyer in Foster City, CA

How foggy is it? Are there things to walk to nearby? how far a drive to work in Daly City?

Asked by Carolyn Kelso-Bell, Foster City, CA Thu Nov 29, 2012

Answers

8
John-Michael Kyono’s answer
Having moved from the West Bay to the east bay I wouldn't move back. My wife is the reason we are here and as always she was right. She could never justify paying the prices for the home sizes or locations. Pacific and Daly City might be more affordable but you sacrifice weather, community, walkability and just a quality of life in general. Its not like living in Millbrae, San Bruno or San Mateo.
The fog is insane and eventually you always leave so you can see sunshine.
Pacifica has microclimates just like San Francisco, and the fog/temps can vary WIDELY from street to street.

When you are driving south into Pacifica from the city, you will often see an insane bank of fog hanging over Highway One. After driving through that, you will often see lots of sun in the rest of Pacifica. I am a San Francisco native and I have lived in Pacifica for 10 years. In my opinion, there is no difference at all in the weather between these two cities. Both have their foggy parts and both have their sunny parts. (In general, of course, both San Francisco and Pacifica are definitely foggier than Foster City.)

Some parts of Pacifica are quite walkable. Others not so much.
How do you like living in Pacifica vs San Francisco? I'm in Linda Mar and love it!
Flag Mon Dec 10, 2012
Thanks all for your help. We already have an agent. I appreciate your feedback.
Good luck Carolyn. If things change, feel free to get in touch.
Flag Thu Dec 6, 2012
Yes thanks my agent is from palo alto. And my husband really doesn't want fog...:) I just the prices ridiculous here...:) just moved from Ontario Canada....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 1, 2012
I'm sure your Palo Alto agent is very good, but yes... would have trouble identifying the sunny areas of Pacifica. Do you currently own a home in Palo Alto or do you both work in that area? I would be happy to meet with you in Pacifica and show you the best areas for sunshine. You can reach me any time on my cell phone 650-544-4395 or email sharon@sfhomelife.com. I just happen to own my own real estate office in the sunny area of Park Pacifica and would love to help you in your search. Also, if you would like, I can email to you available properties that are only in the sunnier areas of Pacifica.
Flag Sat Dec 1, 2012
One more thing. It is important to use a local agent who really knows the area. Some people think they know, but really are not aware of the climates from street to street. Sharon, Brandon and I all live and work in Pacifica and that is very important here.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 1, 2012
That is a very good point Sue! An out of area agent would never be able to point out the weather differences in different areas of Pacifica.
Flag Sat Dec 1, 2012
Hi Carolyn,
I agree with both Sharon and Sue. The fog is usually worse at the north end of Pacifica and less in the southern end. Also, the further back in the valleys you are, the less fog and more sun. Depending on where you are, you can walk to the beach or at most a short drive. As for walking to places, also depends on where you are but in some areas, can walk to shopping and restaurants.

As for driving to Daly City for work, very close. I would say 10-15 minutes if you are in the southern end and less if in the northern end.

I live in the East Sharp Park area and can walk to the beach, Cafe's and shopping and restaurants.

I would say that if you don't mind some fog, the sunny days are so beautiful that they make up for most if the foggy ones.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions

Brandon Denman - Realtor
DRE # 01378663
Pacific Coast Real Estate
Brandondenman@comcast.net
http://www.mypacificahome.com
650-303-0880 cell
Hi Carolyn,

More foggy in the North end of Pacifica, much less foggy in the Southern end. If you are fog sensitive, I would recommend Park Pacifica, which is the Southern end and back from the beach. That part of Pacifica is much sunnier and warmer, escpecially in the summer months.

As far as things to walk to nearby, of course it depends on where you live in Pacifica. I am in the Southern end but close to the beach, so though sunnier than the North end, it is more foggy than Park Pacifica. However, I can easily walk to Linda Mar Center and the beach, so I love it!

Pacifica is certainly considered a short drive to Daly City, but of course again, it depends are where you are located in Pacifica and where you are going in Daly City.

Please feel free to email sharon@sfhomelife.com or call me if you would loke more information, 650-544-4395.

Have a great day! Sharon Vella
Hi- It depends on the time of year and where you are located. We definately have micro climates here. It depends where you live and how far you walk regarding things to walk to. I walk on the beach two days a week and I drive to get there. It takes a few minutes but it is too far for me to walk. I can walk to stores from my house but I generally drive. It can take 2 minutes to 15 minutes to get to Daly City from here. ( Location, time of day, traffic- these are all factors.)