In My Neighborhood in Anthem>Question Details

Husker21, Home Buyer in Anthem, AZ

How do I know if a house I'm interested has been replummed due to the kitec fittings?

Asked by Husker21, Anthem, AZ Fri Mar 25, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


There are actually 3 ways to tell: (1) the first and most simple is to look under the sinks and see if the elbow joints say Kitec. All these fittingsd were labeled by the manufacturer. (2) the second way to tell is with a licensed home inspector and (3) the third way is by calling the builder's office who will refer you to the plumbing contractor they used. The plumbing contractor will send you complete verification when the replumb was done. If you are buying in Sun City Anthem, the Anthem Country Club or Coventry Homes in Anthem as well as other Pulte built homes in Anthem they all used Kitec fittings. The Kitec problem was way overblown. A few people had problems. This resulted in a class action suit against 5 builders. Pulte settled by giving each homeowner $7,000 or the free re-do of their plumbing in their home. Some people took the money and didn't get the plumbing repaired. Most people got their plumbing repaired. While Pulte was the biggest builder in Anthem, they weren't the only builder. Some of the other builders did not use the Kitec fittings. BTW - most of the problems people had happened 5-7 years ago. If your home hasn't had problems, you may not have any in the future.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 26, 2011
Once or if you put in an offer, you will have an inspection period (spelled out in the purchase contract, here in Arizona it is 10 days standard if not stated otherwise). During that period I highly urge you to get a home inspection and in fact, ANYTHING that is a concern to you, get it inspected. This can include mold, poly piping, lead paint, and the list goes on.
Are you working with an agent or Realtor? They can help with all this, remember knowledge is power. The more educated you are about something, usually, the better enabled you are to make a decision.
Best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 25, 2011
Google up Kitec Plumbing Class Action Lawsuit. There will be a list of communities that are entitled to be compensated for the faulty plumbing. There is also a vendor that is assigned to that community. You will have to contact that vendor directly and they will let you know if the remediation has been completed or not.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 6, 2014
You'll want to make sure that this question is specifically posed to the owner, and of course you should hire an experienced, reputable home inspector. Each home inspector will have a different specialty, so you may want to use a home inspector who has a strong plumbing background. Additionally, if you are still concerned about this problem, you could hire a licensed plumber to inspect the home. Any professional real estate agent will be able to give you names and numbers of professionals to hire for these issues.

Angela Brasser, ABR, CRS
Prominent Realty Group, LLC
702-460-2515 Talk/Text
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 5, 2014
You have to be VERY CAREFUL when it comes to these Phase 1 homes. It has been estimated that 85% of them have not been re-plumbed correctly. Realtors are not up to speed on this issue and probably most home inspectors aren't either. Get the City of Henderson inspection reports on your possible house. The best re-plumb is probably using all PVC pipe. Anything else you have to find out what kind of brass fitting was used and the amount of zinc in it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 10, 2012
You should also be aware that there have been problems with Wirsbo plumbing. It has to do with the chemical make-up of the pipes and the hard water we have in Southern Nevada. If lenders know about the plumbing problem, many will not lend. One solution is the FHA 203(k) Streamline rehab loan which will allow for all of the plumbing to be replaced in addition to other needed and / or wanted repairs and upgrades. The FHA 203(k) Streamline is a great loan and you can learn about it by searching "thewunderliteam" on YouTube and watching the 9:26 video that tells all about the program and includes before and after pictures of some of the projects we've been involved with.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 6, 2011
Hello. If you are using an agent they should verify that the fittings have been changed several different ways. One way is to check that the builder was involved in a class action lawsuit and changed all fittings due to the lawsuit. Another way is during your due diligence period, you will be provided with a Sellers Real Property Disclosure where the seller can state they have been replaced. You won't get this form if it is an REO. Revert to the first option in that case. During your inspection you can also have the inspector check. Just make sure your agent represents you correctly and researches that fact for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 25, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer