In My Neighborhood in 75249>Question Details

Sally Swander, Other/Just Looking in 75249

How do I know I'm being charged too much in taxes for my property?

Asked by Sally Swander, 75249 Fri Jul 16, 2010

Answers

13
Spirit....no need to apologize. It gave me a chance to clarify my wording. You're right...they're still playing catch up! Hopefully as the market improves we will see more accurate tax values. If I ever I have a buyer relocating to Tucson I know where to send them. :) Thanks.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 17, 2010
It is not just based on the solds. It can also be based on the current tax values of existing properties. As I explained below, we have helped several people lower their taxes. Just call us next April May and we can help you lower your taxes- Photos of any deficiencies can definitely help if you have anything which can devalue the property. Give us a call 214-405-7345 and we will help you . Richard and CJ
Sally,
The time to fight your tax evaluation has just past. You receive your tax evaluation sometime in April/May and have until May 30 to file a protest (or 30 days after receiving it). A Realtor can provide you with sold data from the past year to help establish the actual value. The Dallas Appraisal board requires proof that 4 homes in your specific neighborhood that have sold for less than your value.and or photos to show that your condition is less than stated on your tax records. It has been my experience, having fought my own tax value, that the more information you can provide the better.

Call me next year when you get your 2010 evaluation and I will provide you all the information you need or be able to show you why the evaluation is fair.

Mary Beth Harrison
The Harrison Group
214-365-6500
mbh@DallasNative.com
Web Reference: http://www.DallasNative.com
Thomas, I was not intending to point out an "error" I apologize if that is how my answer came across. Tax assessors value is probably different from state to state, I only know about here in Arizona. I did have an appraisal come back last year for less than tax assessed value, much to our dismay (sellers). It seems like the value is like a tail of a comet, always playing catch up with the market. When the market started to decline the tax assessed values were still increasing. Of course they are declining now.
Spirit thanks for pointing out my error. I meant to say "appraised value" according to the tax assessor. In Georgia for example, the "assessed value" is 40% of the appraised value determined by the board of assessors. In my market and I would assume many others, the appraised value reflects a much higher value than homes have been selling for. When the appraised value is the basis for calculating the "assessed value" is too high then obviously the homeowner's tax bill will be higher than it should be.

I have sold about 15 homes in the past year where the tax assessor appraised value was significantly higher, often between 20% and 40% of what they paid for the home. It's important for homeowners to be aware of any declining values in their neighborhoods and challenge their property taxes whenever necessary.
I am surprised by the last agent’s comments "In this market it's not unusual for a home to be assessed for tax purposes at much higher than current fair market value". By definition the tax assessed value here in Arizona is LESS than market value. However, the market can decline so much that by the end of the year, the tax assessed value is out of alignment, which they re-evaluate every year. The rate is published and you can view your own county assessor’s site. Here in Pima County it is 10% unless you have a Historic home, then it is 5%.

Hope this helps. Remember, the assessed value is not fair market value; it is not what your house is "worth" or would sell for on the free/open market.
In this market it's not unusual for a home to be assessed for tax purposes at much higher than current fair market value. I suggest you contact a local Realtor to provide you with recent comps to help you decide if your property is overvalued and to support an appeal if necessary. Then contact the Tax Assessor in your county and find out the procedure to challenge the assessed value. Hope this helps!
Dan has a great answer.

Contact the tax office who can assist you.

lynn911.com
If ypu opened the tax bill and fainted THEN you know it is to much.
This can be simple! Check your public tax record. If it says you have an extra bedroom or bath that you don't actually have - or reports more square footage than you actually have - a quick call to your local city office and "presto" your taxes are reduced. If all the information is accurate and you believe the value stated on the public tax record is WAY OVER your actual value - you can submit a petition, the process varies by city.
Sally,

When you are ready jsut call me and we can help you get them reduced for next year . We helped several clinets get their taxes reduced this year. The deadline is in May I believe. 214-405-7345 http://www.cj-richard.com
Hi Sally,
The best way is to have a real estate agent run a quick market analysis for you of houses similar in size and type to yours that have sold in the past six months in your subdivision or close by. This is what an appraiser does. Often the county will take a rather "blanket" approach to an area and go with a median price. The agent will be able to do a more thorough search for you and give you "ammunition" to go to your county appraiser to ask for a reduction. You can go to the agent who helped you find your house, or I can help you with it. Feel free to call me at 972-489-0228. Good question!
Susan Hanson
"Your Home Is Where My Heart Is"
Sally,
You won't know unless you do some research. Your taxes are based on your property value multiplied by the millage (rate) for your area. So you need to find out your property value compared to other properties.

Here's how things work in my area. Your area probably follows a similar pattern. The property appraiser for your county will notify property owners by mail of the proposed taxes. You then have a certain period of time (usually short--perhaps a few weeks) to challenge your proposed taxes. During that period, you need to build your case and assemble evidence that shows why you believe your property is being valued too high for tax purposes.

To do this, you need to go to the website for your county property appraiser and find homes in your neighborhood that are similar to yours in age, size, and amenities and that are valued by the property appraiser at a lower amount than your home. If you have difficulty finding such homes, then you will probably have a hard time convincing the county to reassess your property to a lower value.

Other factors can also come into play If you have recently purchased your home, your property may have been reassessed based on the sale price. if you live in a state like mine (Florida) that has a homestead exemption, you will find that the values of homesteaded properties (primary residences) will be lower than those of second homes or rental properties.

People do succeed in getting their valuations adjusted, but you have to work quickly and present a good case. Good luck, and I hope that helps.

Warm regards,
Maggie Hawk, REALTOR
(386) 314-1149
Watson Realty Corp.