In My Neighborhood in 30080>Question Details

firmfount5, Home Buyer in Conyers, GA

How can a community have such mixed reviews regarding the basic features of safety and pest control???

Asked by firmfount5, Conyers, GA Tue Oct 9, 2012

?Sheesh. This appears to be an excellent home investment from the marketing and advertising but these kind of reviews force a potential homebuyer to check the local police dept for crime statistics and the residents walking their dogs, dont you think management???

Answers

3
I lived in a condo in 30080 until we had kids and had to upsize to a larger property and moved to a different part of Smyrna. The condo we lived on along Spring Rd really was a fabulous place to live.

There's very aggressive policing in Smyrna. Most of the crime statistics show that it's non-violent crime, traffic violations and domestic disturbances.

I can tell you for certain that it's safer than Conyers and South Dekalb. I'd take Smyrna over Virginia Highlands, Grant Park or Inman Park any day.

There's individual streets with just low-income population which tends to bring higher crime, like Bates Street, but even then, you'll notice no bars on air conditioners or windows, and that should tell you something. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out what areas are too seedy for you. Just visit them at night. However, things can change quickly in Smyrna in a matter of a couple blocks. E.g. go a couple blocks West of Bates street, you have some of the most gorgeous historic homes in Smyrna and very little crime. The police keep things from spreading beyond their source, for the most part. As I said, the policing is very aggressive towards stopping crime.

I still own the condo and rent it out. I left it unlocked for a whole week accidentally, vacant. Nothing happened.

There's not many burglaries or car thefts and the few there are come from transients coming to the area versus stuff right here in Smyrna.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 10, 2012
Bless you. Getting this kind of good news from you-- straight from the mouth of an insider certainly helps. I am a senior who is being relocated because of a county sewage problem that the health dept has expressed is not safe for me. I will follow your advice and visit the area for myself. I hope to also find a condo rental that will prove safe for a retired senior living alone. Thanks again.
Flag Wed Oct 10, 2012
I live in Smyrna and have enjoyed this area since 2001. Every city will have it's pocket areas of crime and as the Atlanta area expands it will expand crime to certain regions. Smyrna stretchs very far and the as you travel out towards the limits it may get a bit edgy. I feel very safe here and would suggest this city to anyone.

Checking with local Law is fantastic. I would check City of Smyrna as well as Cobb County for the unincorporated areas that they cover. As far as pest control. Not sure on that part of the question. Feel free to call me or reach my on my site http://www.smyrnahomefinder.com. If you want you can message me on my site on the area that you are looking at and I will tell you everything you want to know on that. If you have a Realtor I will only give you information that will help you and your Realtor as a courtesy.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 10, 2012
I think the positive comments are from people trying to sell. I moved from Smyrna and it took us 5 yrs. we ended up selling for what we bought it for in 1999. Two little old ladies bought our house. No one w/ children want to move to Smyrna. You have to put your children in private school. You could move to a much nicer area in east Cobb for the same price and put your children in public school there.