Savalis Char…, Home Buyer in Baldwin, NY

How bad is the flooding ? What about flooding in basements if you live in south freeport?

Asked by Savalis Charles, Baldwin, NY Tue Jul 17, 2012

Answers

3
Anna Brocco’s answer
For flood zone information see links below...also consider asking the seller if any homeowner insurance claims were made due to flooding--ask for a CLUE report...
http://www.fema.gov/hazard/map/flood.shtm
http://www.floodsmart.gov/
We live in the South Bay condos on Casino St. During Irene, we were one of the only buildings in the area that did not flood. We live on the bay side in a ground floor unit. Many of the private residences in the area flooded. Our condo building was built on an elevation which helps prevent flooding. The water came within 12 inches of our unit. We are about to put the unit on the market for sale and hope this will be an excellent selling point. Beautiful condo and view without the worry of flooding!
You live in a beautiful building iin a great location. Have you chosen a Realtor to market your condo? I would love to interview for the job. I have been selling houses and co-ops and condos in Freeport for the past 20 years. Call me so we can set up an appointment to discuss it. 516-410-3000
Flag Wed Jul 18, 2012
Whether or not a street floods depends on it's location. Some streets have not been raised and above-normal tides can cause water to come out of the storm drains into the street. Many houses in flood areas do not have basements but those that do are not usually affected by this small amount of water at the curb.
About once every 20 years or so, there is a hurricane or a nor'easter. Then flooding can be more severe. If you are considering buying a house south of Atlantic Avenue, your lender will most likely require flood insurance. If the house has a below ground basement, a good home inspector will be able to tell you if there is evidence of flooding. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy the house. It just means you should be aware of the possibility it may happen again and you shouldn't keep anything valuable on the basement floor.
If you are still looking for a house, I would be happy to help you with your search. As a buyers' agent, I work on your behalf to help you find the right house at the right price. Call me at 516-410-3000. I will answer any questions you have about buyer representation.