Shannonoleta, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

Hi there, my husband and I are looking at a house to buy off of Margery Street. The house is on a quarter of an acre but backs up to I205. Because of

Asked by Shannonoleta, Portland, OR Thu May 12, 2011

this we are really nervous about noise and the resale value of the home. Will any one that lives in the area give us some insight on what it is like living in this particular area of the neighborhood?

Answers

3
Janie Davis’ answer
Shannonoleta,

I have listed and sold a home on Margery Street twice, first in 2007 after the home had been nicely updated by my client, and then the buyer who purchased it called me to list it for them last year (they moved to California).

Regarding the neighborhood, the neighbors are lovely people and both my clients enjoyed living there. There's a park about 3-4 blocks away (across the street and up the hill) which the kids loved, plus the walkability of the area is great... Willamette Park, Fields Park, Old Town Willamette shops and and restaurants, professional offices and the grocery/pharmacy are all within easy walk times. Willamette Elementary is an exemplary school, also!

The freeway noise was definitely an issue to contend with in selling the home. It's funny.... both of my clients were fine with the noise as they didn't use the back yard for entertaining. They expanded the front deck/porch, and made a nice eating area there. Inside the noise was almost nonexistent. Since I worked with two appraisers on that property, both told me the freeway accounted for $10K-$15K difference in a home backing to the freeway and one that doesn't. As long as you buy it with that in mind at a price that reflects it, you should be OK when selling it with that same reduction from a typical comparable home.

My clients had not built a barrier such as a dirt berm with tall growing foilage or a cement wall, etc. I heard from several buyers that something of that nature would have made quite a difference. To get into the West Linn community and school district, many buyers are willing to sacrifice noise (at the right price) for an affordable home.

I also live in the Willamette area of West Linn, about 1/2 mile from Margery St. I'm extremely familiar with the area and would be happy to answer further questions or help you in any way. :)
Congratulations on looking in West Linn, it is a great place to live! I have lived here pretty much my whole life. As for that location, I would say that the freeway noise will be an issue. I live down by the river and the first year we lived in our house all I could hear were the jet skis and boats. However, I can tell you that after that first year, I have barely noticed them at all. There are several homes in West Linn that are comparable to the one on Margery Street.

If you are concerned about schools, I can help you with the differences between the schools or neighborhoods. Not only am I a long time resident, I am also running for a seat on the School Board.

Let me know if I can help or answer any other questions.
Web Reference: http://www.kaseysaito.com
West Linn is almost always a good investment, and the house you are looking at seems to be priced well. I205 will more than likely be an issue in reselling, meaning that it just might take a little longer to sell than if it wasn't next to the freeway, but I would be surprised if you lost money on it. The noise can be annoying when outside, but you probably wouldn't notice it much while inside.