Momtaz, Home Buyer in Okemos, MI

Hi, Planning to buy a condo there. how is it to live there?

Asked by Momtaz, Okemos, MI Sat Apr 2, 2011

Philip Sencer’s answer
Why did you pick that neighborhood over others? There are lots of neighborhoods here in the city. I suggest that you rent first and get better acquainted with various areas before you make a commitment to buy.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 2, 2011
I'm going to have to stay OFF the love fest bandwagon here a bit. Yes, Southshore is a great place to live overall. However, it is sort of like Rogers Park, in that one block is good, another bad. Conditions can change rapidly from one street to another. I suggest you visit the buildings and surrounding blocks at different times to see how activity is. The area can be a bit rough at times depending on location. I always suggest people take a drive through alleys as well. Alleys can tell you a lot about a particular area.
Web Reference:

South Shore has great transport to the loop via Metra rail and several bus line. It's on the south end of Lake Shore Drive, which gives drivers great access to everywhere. On the north end of South Shore, you have Jackson Park and then the very well established community of Hyde Park, which has tons of cultural destinations, dining and the U of C. South Shore provides tremendous value in the current market for someone who wants to live in a lakefront community in Chicago. Many of the homes and buildings are architecturally significant and oversized. If you're looking for space, access to downtown, lakefront, investment potential and have a tight budget. South Shore has that in spades and is pretty affordable in the current market. If you want nightlife....try another neighborhood.

Wayne Beals
Keller Williams CCG
312 77BEALS
312 772-3257
Web Reference:

As a forty year resident of the south side I have spent a lot of time in the South Shore area. My family owns multiple co-op's on South shore Drive. Throughout the community you have a mix of vintage and new. The vintage units have been well preserved and you have original wood, and over-sized units that often come with butler pantry's, formal entryways and separate dinning room.

South Shore also is one of few areas in the entire city that you can have the lake front as your personal front or back yard. The South Shore Cultural Center has numerous cultural events throughout every season and if you love to golf you can walk to the Jackson Park Golf Course.

Transportation is excellent because you can access numerous bus lines and the METRA.

Because the weather is fair now is the time to take a walk around and walk four blocks in each direction to get a feel for your neighbors. We often go to South Shore for chinese food and turkey burgers. Little Hands was our original choice for child care and has placed several students in selective Chicago Public School Programs.The list can go on and on. South Shore has a mini-Hyde park feel with more land mass and cheaper prices.
Web Reference:
Hi Momtaz,

The South Shore is rich with history and architecture.

Go to:,_Chicago

Good luck with your purchase & if I can be of service don't hesitate to contact me directly.
If your looking to buy in this area, you should get a good buyers agent that work this neighborhood. This way you have someone to walk you through the process, at no cost to you. Interview two or three agents, and go with the one you mesh best with.

Matt Laricy
Americorp Real Estate
Brokers Associate, e-PRO
It is very nice, I've got a recently remodeled one for sale if you are interested let me know and I could send you pictures.