Deepak, Home Buyer in Fremont, CA

Hi, I am planning to buy a house in Ardenwood in Fremont. It is close to a railway track near Capulet circle, how bad is the train noise there?

Asked by Deepak, Fremont, CA Mon Nov 14, 2011

Hi Deepak, as stated below individuals have differing opinions when it comes to noise levels. Some people can not tolerate train noise and some say
Hi Deepak,

I manage a home on Capulet Circle and they have never mentioned any problem with the train noise. I know the train goes under Paseo Padre so you will not hear the horn in this area. (I believe the horn is worse than the engine). You will hear some horn noise as the train gets close to Jarvis. After the engine passes then it's not that bad.

Hope this helps,
When clients ask this question, I suggest they go to the neighborhood at various times the train goes by and see (ie, hear) what they think. Sometimes this means going to the neighborhood really early in the morning, say around 5 or 6 am when the morning commute trains go by. Relative noise from trains can seem louder at different times of the day. And different types of trains generate a different type of noise -- commute versus freight, for example.

I have also had clients who like to buy near the railroad tracks...brings back fond childhood memories for them!

This is an individual decision.

Sally Blaze
Alain Pinel Realtors

I am living close by busy street and it can be noisy sometime but my family get used it after a while.My brother is leaving close to track and I don't hear any complaint from his family.The best way as suggested by steve,you need to be in the house when train passing and stay outside and feel the difference in the noise.Also check with few neighbors and see how they feel about the noise.I hope this helps.

This is going to be a relative answer based on an individual’s sound sensitivity. Why not simply head out to Capulet and wait for a train to pass in order to gauge whether the noise level is a "deal-breaker" for you?

After all, this is a significant financial move that warrants this level of personal scrutiny.