In My Neighborhood in 11714>Question Details

Ed Hodkinson, Real Estate Pro in 11714

Hey everyone, It's been a while since my last post but I have a hypothetical question for anyone who cares to advise. If you leave a real

Asked by Ed Hodkinson, 11714 Wed Mar 7, 2012

estate company but have one listing them how does that work? Can you take the listing? Even if the listing is a family friend?

Ed

Answers

6
Lynn.pisani’s answer
Your broker owns all the listings not you so when you leave....you leave them with the broker. You can always explain the family relationship and request a release from your broker. Seller can petition the broker also but the broker is not obligated to release the contract with seller. Remember, you catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.
The broker generally keeps the listing unless the seller wants to be released from the contract with your old company & wants to re list with you in the new company.
This depends on your broker. I was with Coldwell Banker and left all of my listings. One of the commercial listings was not treated as well as she thought she should be and demanded to be released and CB complied with it.

With my agents, I tell them if and when they wish to leave, they are free to take their listings with them. People list with people not companies.

If you are leaving your present company and your listing wishes to be released, they should let that be known to your Broker. I don't believe a company can legally hold a listing if they want out.

If you are looking for a new company, would love to talk to you. Gail@GailGladstone.com 631-425-6150
If the Owner takes it off the market then you will likely still have a clause within the listing agreement that indicates a commission due to the Brokerage in the event that it is sold to anyone who has viewed the home during the listing period. This will typically expire in 6 months. But it would protect the brokerage in the event that you had an interested party that was gained during the marketing efforts of the original broker.
What if the owner of the home takes the home off the market?
Discuss with your broker owner, and or office manger; generally listings belong and remain with the broker unless you have an agreement stating otherwise....