In My Neighborhood in 08201>Question Details

Tamika, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

Hello, I was interested in a property listed for sale in Absecon,Nj..My children are a little hesitant, because of the distance away from our family

Asked by Tamika, Philadelphia, PA Wed Nov 24, 2010

here in Phila,Pa & they are afraid there might be conflict at a new school in a suburb area..Can anyone tell me & be truthfully honest..Is there any racial tension in Absecon & are there any regular reports of bullying minority children at the local schools..I brought my children up to love everyone for who they are & not for the color of their skin..Unfortunately not all of us have that same frame of mind & continually carry on their ignorant thinking that all minorities are below anyone else & deserve to be treated as such..I can't even believe that racism still exist in our time now, but it does & I do not want to put my children right in the middle of it. So can someone plz help me with this question & hopefully put my mind at ease..Thank you in advance..Sincerely, T.C.R

Answers

7
Absecon is very close to the jersey shore, atlantic city to be exact, which is a very very diverse community, so no the level of racial tension is virtually non existant. The city and its outskirts are full of people from all walks of life, living in harmony.
Web Reference: http://www.sjrates.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 25, 2010
Hi Tamika.

I can understand you're wanting to know this information up front, before you buy or rent in a new area. Here's the problem.....you're asking the wrong person/people. Real estate agents/brokers are by law forbidden to discuss the racial and/or ethnic makeup of a particular area. We're simply not allowed and it's cause to lose your real estate license.

I would suggest asking other sources in Absecon like the other posters mentioned here.

GOOD LUCK.

Scott Miller, Realty Associates, Boca Raton, FL
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 25, 2010
I agree with the comments below. I would suggest you drive around different communities that you have interest in and research the local communities and schools to make sure schools have extra curricular sports activities, etc. If you are thinking of South Jersey and need assistance, please send me a private email and I'd be happy to assist in your home search.

Janet Larsen, Broker/Associate
Remax Connection
856-261-6910
Web Reference: http://www.njrealtorjan.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 24, 2010
I'm not from PA, however, it might be good for you to spend a day in Abesecon, NJ. Walk around to the shops and cafes and talk to some of the owners or patrons and get an informal view from people who live there. In doing so you get first hand information. Also get information from someone who is not going to necessarily benefit from your information. You might also check with the Youth Court System in that area. They can determine what percentage of their crime related referrals are race versus other such as gangs and drugs.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 24, 2010
Great community Absecon.
There is one big problem.
No high school in town unless you send to the Catholic HS at $7K a year.
Public school sending district is one of the poorest performing in the state.
Have friends in NJ and the only complaint they have is high taxes
Have you considered the Virginia Beach ocean front. Being a strong military town people who live here are from everywhere.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 3, 2010
Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods, therefore do consider doing some of your own homework--visit the area more than once, drive around, look at everything that is important to you, possibly chat with locals, if you have safety concerns, also visit/call the local police department and ask all your questions, etc., then make a determination, will your comfort level be reached--and go from there.