In My Neighborhood in 19027>Question Details

Andraeus, Both Buyer and Seller in 19027

Hello; I recently had a home inspection on a house i want to buy and there is evidence of termites; also of prior treatment for termites. Wht shd I do

Asked by Andraeus, 19027 Fri Oct 22, 2010

Answers

6
I do remodeling work. Let me take a look at the amount of damage the termites have done. I could give u a price to correct it.My cell number is 215 783 5913.
You have some very good questions. I have one for you. Are you working with a professional real estate agent? If you are, I would suggest you discuss these items with them. If not, please call me.
Andraeus, The pest control operator who discovered the termites shoud have given you a written proposal of how to remediate this condition. Follow his instructions. You can have your real estate professiona, if you have one, give this to the seller to see if he will take care of it for you. If he will not, you will need to decide if you want to take on the responsibility yourself or just walk away. Do you have a buyer representative?

Good Luck,

Carol Cei
ReMax Action Realty
215-643-9661
carolcei@remax.net
You want to see if they are active or just signs from a past infestation, if they were treated you want proof of it and any warranty info for future treatments. If they are active or there is no proof of treatment, you should request the seller treats through a professionally company or get estimates and have them credit you that amount at closing. You also need to see if there is any structual damage from the termites, if so you will want that fixed as well.
Andrea,

Until your transaction closes, the termite issue belongs to the seller. Our recommendation is to review your purchase agreement relative to repair limits because of WDO's (wood destroying organisms) prior to having a complete evaluation done by a WDO specialist.

Once the extent of the damages and cost associated with remediating it is known, you will be able to understand what lies before you. Collect as much information as possible before pushing the panic button and remember that many transactions are saved through additional negotiations between the buyer and seller.

Be sure the seller knows immediately that this is an issue of great concern and will impact your transaction.

Well if there is evidence of termites you are definitely going to want to have them treated. In additon check to see if they have done any structural damage yet. If so have that wood repaired/replaced. Since you are on the buying end of thsi transaction You shoud be asking the seller for the necessary treatmetn and repairs to the house.

if the house has been previoulsly treated; the homeowner mght not have kpet up with the yearly treatments on termites that is recommended to sustain a warranty on the house. If you decide to close on this house after the termites are treated I would definitely keep up with on a yearly basis with a termite inspection and treatment. It is a small price to pay for peace of mind.
Web Reference: http://www.davedicecco.com