In My Neighborhood in 46814>Question Details

Deniseg97, Home Buyer in Warsaw, IN

Has anyone had any foundation issues in the Bridgewater neighborhood in Fort Wayne, IN? Looking at homes in that area and wondering the history.

Asked by Deniseg97, Warsaw, IN Sat Mar 16, 2013

Seen some cracking above doorways in some homes and unlevel flooring on first level.

Answers

6
Ken Richardson’s answer
Hi Denise,

It's entirely possible that a builder's designs may contain flaws or a community may have geological issues that cause systemic foundation problems. I have more than 26 years local real estate experience and know of no foundation issues endemic to that community. You and your Realtor should subject every property you view to a fair degree of scrutiny.

If you have viewed multiple properties in that community and have documented what you feel to be repeating cases of foundation problems please share your data with me. It is important for all Realtors to stay informed and aware of trends in our market.

I am happy to share my knowledge of the Fort Wayne housing market and assist you in locating a suitable home.

Ken Richardson
Ken Richardson Realty Company
Office phone: (260) 422-1888
Cell phone: (260) 413-6058
E-mail: ken@kenrichardsonrealty.com

Visit my website: http://www.kenrichardsonrealty.com
Foundation issues can happen anywhere. There are a few subdivisions in other parts of town that have a history of foundations issues. Those areas have large trees near the home and the roots cause havoc with both plumbing and foundations.

Bridgewater is not one of those areas.

Please let my wife or I know if we can help you further. We know the Bridgewater area very well and would love to help you. 260.704.0843 is our direct cell.
I'm a Realtor and have sold homes in, and also live in the Bridgewater subdivision. I'm doing an Open House on Sunday afternoon in Grey Oaks (just across Covington Road from Bridgewater), and would be happy to discuss my experiences with you if you happen to be in the neighborhood.

Wendy Bellamy
Mike Thomas Associates/F.C. Tucker
260-579-3671
bellamyrealtors@gmail.com
Hi, my name is Karen Byers and I am an agent with CBRWG. I also live in the Bridgewater area. What type of foundation issues were you concerned with. I have not heard of any specific issues.but would be happy to do some more investigating if you are speaking of a specific issue. My contact info is 260-413-6374 or kbyersold@aol.com, kbyers@cbrwg.com.
Denise, I think that the problems you might have observed are unique to the home(s) that you have viewed. Bridgewater, the subdivision, is not necessarily reputed to have "foundation issues". That being said, a certain subdivision could become stigmatized by a larger than average group of houses that have a specific problem. That is generally due to a builder that has an unresolved construction problem, and builds exclusively/nearly exclusively in that subdivision.

Consult your realtor, if you have one, and they should be able to direct you to a structural engineer, or the like, that can give you an indepth overview of what to look for in reference to foundation issues. Regardless, of what you see, make sure you, upon making an offer, hire a quality inspector. If they see some of those "clues", they will refer you to an expert-like a structural engineer. It might turn out that the "clues" are no cause for concern, but if they are symptoms of a deeper problem, it will be money well spent.

If you do not have a realtor that is committed to you and vice versa, feel free to give me a call. Good luck, either way. 260-312-6077.
It can happen anywhere. I can give you the name of a good structural engineer that I have worked with several times during real estate transactions.