Buy Me, Both Buyer and Seller in Fremont, CA

Facebook is going IPO around May 2012. Employees can sell stocks six months later. What's the impact in Ardenwood Real Estate - 10 minute drive

Asked by Buy Me, Fremont, CA Fri Feb 3, 2012

to HQ?

Answers

7
Buy Me’s answer
Thanks everyone for the prompt reply and different perspectives. There's difinitely a lot of hype but if you play the odds there's something to be said. Not everyone is a superstar with sizeable stock grants and can afford prime locations. The question I'm wondering about is it better to rent the property versus selling and taking a chance on the stock market. A savings account earns 1/2 a percent. If you throw in inflation you get to earn -2.5% a year. A third of the home buyers nowadays are investors thinking the same thing.

It's a hard call to make but with the low rates the rent to mortgage payment is exactly the same. I think this message thread covers all the angles but I'm still looking for another view point not conveyed.
Buy Me:

The average age of a Facebook employee is about 26. I'm just not sure how much decisional weight will be placed on schools versus lifestyle. My personal opinion is we’ll see more of a clustering on the Peninsula side (with those concerned about schools/APIs looking at West Menlo Park and Palo Alto).

I assume some will also choose Newark as a landing spot; I just don't know how big a part the “lifestyle variable” will play in the minds of new young Millionaires.

-Steve
The answer is simple YES but the effect would be felt in more affluent neighborhoods than Ardenwood.
Web Reference: http://www.kenvasan.com
The Bay Area is quite the high-tech business mecca, no question about that. There's a constant churn of business booms and busts. With the Facebook IPO, I don't believe it will have as much an affect as is sensationalized in the news media.

It seems like it would have a more profound impact on higher end properties, such as those in peninsula neighborhoods like Atherton, Palo Alto and Menlo Park or in the Mission Hills in Fremont.

That being said, I think you answered your own question. The proximity of Ardenwood to the Facebook HQ is pretty darn close, and will have an effect. How much so, remains to be seen!

Remember, a million dollars is not what it used to be! ;)
Web Reference: http://www.SFBayRealtor.net
My 2 cent advise is that it is not definately going down.That means it can only go up.Good luck!
Is this a question or a statement?
The financial experts are expecting 1000 millionaires after the IPO (1/3 of total employees). I really like to emphasize not all employees will be millionaires but significant amount of people will have enough for the down payment. Plus, with the new cash in hand, Facebook is going to hire more employees.

The Fremont Ardenwood area has good schools and only a ten minute drive across the Dumbarton bridge to Facebook headquarters in Menlo Park. A person can easily bike there through Coyote Hills.
Web Reference: http://bit.ly/yPx5ge