In My Neighborhood in 60618>Question Details

444wfullerton, Both Buyer and Seller in Lincoln Park, Chicago,...

Expansion of the O'Hare airport - concern of noise & property value in Lincoln Square?

Asked by 444wfullerton, Lincoln Park, Chicago, IL Mon Jun 4, 2012

Should the expansion of the O'Hare airport (including two new east-west runways, one of which will be positioned over Montrose) be a concern (both noise and property value wise for a purchase near Montrose and Western in Lincoln Square? Is it a bad decision?

Lincoln Square is a very desirable area. The planes already fly over the area. Property value will likely not be affected by future expansion.
The major east - west runway is now in alignment with Bryn Mawr and there is no discernible impact from noise or on property values in Edgewater and Andersonville.
This MLS area (8077) has the fewest month's supply of any where on the north side.
I can answer as a resident of Lincoln Square who lives very close to the area you are questioning. There are already planes that fly over, I honestly only notice when I'm outside and my son points them out. Mainly between that 5:00-6:30 rush hour. It absolutely does not disturb us in anyway and we can't hear it from inside the house.

It's a great neighborhood, we truly enjoy living here.

Hope that helps a bit.

Kelli Johannesen-Logan
yes, think of those NYC flights that are coming in daily. O'hare can land three planes at a time, so if you look up you'll see them north and south at times as well.

Buying a home is a huge decision, it's smart to ask these questions if you're unsure!

Flag Mon Jun 4, 2012
Thank you Kelli! I Think I am being too over sensitive! ... so the planes are more frequent during rush hour? I see!
Flag Mon Jun 4, 2012
I dont think this will affect the value in the slightest. I really wouldnt worry about it.
I see no correlation between the two. There are lots of other factors that affect value in that area and others.
Thanks Philip. Just got scared when I read about the expansion and realized when I was in the neighborhood that there is a bunch of air traffic. Plus if it were an issue I'm sure the entire community would voice concerns.
Flag Mon Jun 4, 2012