In My Neighborhood in 80004>Question Details

Vfermon, Home Buyer in Arvada, CO

Does the train bother you?

Asked by Vfermon, Arvada, CO Fri Nov 16, 2012

Answers

6
We have lived in the area for 10+ years and we like to hear the train go by. We don't back up to the tracks but can hear the train and the whistle. The kids love it!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 17, 2013
All tenants and the owner tell us that the trains are not disturbing. You get used to them.
Vfermon,

Are you living near a train in Arvada or considering a purchase? This is a really personal question. Some people like the sound of the train and think it is nostalgic and is music to their ears. Some clients relocating here from the East coast and used to a lot of noise don't mind it. Of course there are others that can't stand it and can't sleep. It would be good for you to find a friend who lives near the train tracks and spend the night to see if it affects you negatively. I live a couple of blocks south of the tracks in Park Hill and sometimes hear the the whistle blowing late at night and it is kind of a nice calming sound. If I were closer to it I don't know how I would like it.. But even if it does not bother you it could conceivably have an impact on your resale value. Good luck with your decision.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 24, 2012
If you are asking me does Train noise bothers me; quick answer is no. In many occasion I have been on my balcony (which is a few feet away from rail road track) noticing train passing by without me hearing a thing. I have asked the same question from my neighbors and residents of Water Tower Village (WTV) which located in Down Town Arvada; their responses were similar to mine. Of course, it is not for everybody. After a while you get use to it.
By the way, Train that goes through my neighborhood moves very slow and they are may be 4 to 6 times per day.
For your information Down Town Arvada is a unique area that Train goes through it. Down Town Arvada is a fast growing area with rail road track that soon will have a Light Rail Station. With that in mind property value in WTV and Down Town has risen since people have noticed the Train Station construction began. In WTV Rowhome prices are up about 17% since early 2012.
I have lived and work in Down Town Arvada for the past 18 years. For more info about Arvada please visit my site hptt://www.US1Realty.net or call me at 303-503-3600
Arvada has implemented 'quiet zones' at several crossings. Still, train horns are a part of life in Arvada. The important question is, does the train bother YOU? If so, you will need an agent who knows the area well enough to guide you to the quieter locales.
Great Question. It really depends on many factors. For the most part no. I do find that buyers in the area are more unfamiliar with the timeline that the trains run on. Understanding your commute along with your proximity to major intersections that the conductors need to use their horn at all help.
Near what intersection or track area are you considering?
70th and Kipling Thank you.
Flag Fri Nov 16, 2012