Margo Ervin, Other/Just Looking in 80538

Does anyone know what's going on with Old Town North?

Asked by Margo Ervin, 80538 Mon Nov 9, 2009

? Construction has come to a halt, I'm sure in part due to the economy. But OldTownNorth.com has been under construction for ages now, and I see that some of the lots are up for sale to other developers now. What's going on?

Answers

5
Lets have a more basic answer-

Coming back from Orange County CA, the only thing Colorado is truly lacking is GOOD FOOD! I am impressed that Down Town Fort Collins has stepped it up with new original restaurants like MainLine, and Ace Gillets- still have the college bar scene but many of them have graduated from the "drunken monkey" atmosphere to more of a pub like setting hosting local breweries. Fort Collins is maturing and offering much more to the out of state buyer than the home town college atmosphere. Great market to buy into!
Hi Margo. I can tell you now that Old Town North in Fort Collins is now being built out. The previous builder became insolvent and now there are several investment groups and builders, including Rocky Mountain High, LLC, that are now able to step in and help to create a beautiful community. Take a look the new website, http://www.oldtownnorthfortcollins.com (and soon http://www.oldtownnorth.net) to see the latest residential and mixed-use developments and Old Town North opportunities. Sincerely, Holly Robertus, Associate Broker, Northern Colorado Real Estate Brokers, LLC. Hope to hear from you soon!
Margo,

Matt is correct. I am a current home owner here in Old Town North and I am only selling my condo because I am in the Militay and have to move out of state. The residents of the neighborhood are very friendly. While Jesse is right, there is currently not a park it is only because the funds from the HOA have been limited due to the small number of homes built so far. The HOA has started a community garden, and is actively looking at options for a community playground and dog park. The open space that Jesse claims is "swampy year round," is a designed water retention area. This area is designed to collect storm water from the neighborhood and then filter the dirt and debris before sending it into the Fort Collins storm water system.

This neighborhood was booming with construction before the economic slump. As new construction picks up again I expect the neighborhood to continue to fill out. The neighborhood is wonderful in the fact it is not a "cookie cutter" neighborhood and offers a bit of everything. My wife and I hardly ever use our care because the walk to the center of Old Town is less than 15 minutes, and about a 4 minute bikeride. We also have easy access to the Poudre bike trail system. The neighborhood is in the middle of three different development plans for College North. In a few years I anticipate that Old Town North will not be very "North" of town at all.
Rumor is the developer is a not a good person and is somewhat "out there" if you know what i mean. I think the developer continues to push out realtors and investors/builders. There are foundations that have been sitting for years with no development. The neighborhood has no marketing and little if any web presence, if you ask people in the area about Old Town North they give you a blank stare. It is also a highway for homeless people and transients as they pass for shelter to shelter to the north and south of the development. There is no neighborhood park or even any grass in the area that is not swampy year round. I have heard the area is horrible with mosquitos during the summer, resident can't even leave their homes. The neighborhood was once a floodplain and has a drainage ditch that to the south that is mostly stagnate water.
Margo:
Like everywhere the challenges with selling new construction and land units to builders/speculators have been daunting. We sold several condos in Old Town North, and have listed some of the homes there so I have some good experience in that neighborhood. Each builder and the developer there have seen lack of demand and price pressure hurt them. Also, builders more than ever, cannot get loans to build speculative product in order to build inventory. At the same time, we have a very instant gratification buyer in today's market with the tax credits and low interest rates available.
If you'd like to know more information about the area, please contact me and we can talk. I truly believe in this very "walkable" neighborhood in downtown Fort Collins, and love the eclectic nature of the architecture. While the lots are smaller and are not for everyone, it is staying in touch with building a sustainable community with open space close to Old Town. You get more for your money in a lot of ways in Old Town North than you do in Old Town, save for a smaller yard. in OTN, the homes are newer and much more energy efficient, safer with updated electrical and plumbing, and cleaner with healthier indoor air. Lots of nice reasons.
Let me know what more I can do.

Matt Evans
970-215-9221
mattevansrealestate@gmail.com