In My Neighborhood in 11020>Question Details

ktnox2113, Home Buyer in Great Neck, NY

Does anyone know the reputation for Spinney Hill. I am looking for a house in Great Neck but found this article in the NY times about Spinney Hill

Asked by ktnox2113, Great Neck, NY Fri Mar 16, 2012

which paints a pretty bad picture with gangs.

"http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/29/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/…

Answers

4
If unfamiliar with the area do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 16, 2012
Great Neck itself is a beautiful area, and the people are nice
spinney hill homes used to be a very nice place. but new management has gotten in there and honestly all the property manager does is have a bad attitude and deals with the residents like they are garbage. They are illegally evicted people from the premises. They are still collecting money from dss even though those people are getting evicted. The truth is that they are trying get rid of all of the old residents...black residents so they can get a contract from north shore hospital for the residents. instead of this being subsidized living for the lower income families in the area...spinney hill homes will get no less than $2000 for each apartment. This place used to be about the community and love but now its all about money. They have a list of do nots and one of the rules is that they children arent allowed to ride their bike on the grass or the sidewalk. Now any normal parent like me would say well, hey where in the hell are the kids gonna play. i guess that only leaves the parking lot and the street. The management is incompetent and has a nasty attitude
the article is old, from 2007. The apartments that the young man lived in were totally rebuilt they are beautiful and people are pround to live there. the private homes are lovely, well kept, and its a beautiful area. It straddles two school districts, I am not sure where the line is but I believe most of the private homes go to Great Neck and the apartments attend Manhasset. Take a drive and check out Spinney Hill I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I live very close, never even gave it thought, I was shocked to see your questions, and I never saw that article before. continue looking in great neck, its a wonderful place to live.