In My Neighborhood in 04401>Question Details

Elaine Day, Other/Just Looking in Memphis, TN

Do all mobile home parks in Maine have park rental fees as well as the mortgage cost on a home? I live in TN. but hope to relocate in a couple of

Asked by Elaine Day, Memphis, TN Wed Mar 9, 2011

years when my child graduates H.S. Need something low maintenance, moderately sized and secure.

Answers

3
Yes - Elaine - all mobile home parks have rental fees. When you live or place a mobile home in a park- you are "leasing" the lot the mobile home is sited on. Depending on where you are- some of the parks are hooked to public water & sewer. Some parks include the use of public water/sewer in their monthly fees- some do not (and you are either billed extra for your useage & bill directly by the utility company if the mobile home lot has its own meters. Lot "rents" range anywhere from $125/ month to $300/month. This is all on top of any mortgage payments on the mobile home itself. And you still have to maintain your lawn & driveway yourself- either hire someone to mow & plow or you can do it yourself. Most offer trash removel. Living in a park is not necessarily "maintenance free".
Depending on what your budget is for purchasing a home- you might want to consider a condo. The monthly fees average $150- this includes exterior maintenance of the building, mowing & plowing/shoveling. Condo prices vary depending on where you are in the state- and they cost quite a bit more than a mobile home.

Feel free to contact me if you decide to live in the greater Bangor area. moose2@tcreal.com 207-942-6711x154
Hi Elaine,

Yes, all the parks in the southern Maine area do have fees to cover the costs of renting the land, trash removal, plowing, etc. Some parks will also take care of the water and sewer as part of the fee, however, that does vary. Several parks also have pet restrictions or no pets allowed. I would be delighted to work with you when you arrive in Maine. I work out of the Saco market area. I would cover the parks in Old Orchard Beach, Wells and surrounding towns.

Feel free to contact me directly at: CJ Dubois-Cote, Prudential Prime Properties, 207-615-1663 or cindy@prubay.com
Hello Elaine - The parks do carry fees, yes. In essence, you are renting the land and certain services such as plowing, etc. Generally, real estate taxes are lower because you are paying taxes only on the mobile home and not on the land.

It is fairly common in Maine to also find mobile homes on their own land. In such cases, there are of course no park fees. but you will pay a higher purchase price to reflect the value of the land.

Good luck and thanks for the inquiry about Maine!