Wilmington-B…, Home Buyer in Wilmington, NC

Crime in the Historic District

Asked by Wilmington-Bound, Wilmington, NC Sat Oct 19, 2013

Hello All,

I am moving to Wilmington from Chicago and have been looking online for a home. I like historic neighborhoods and had decided I wanted to buy downtown. However, on a recent trip to Wilmington I heard a bit about all the recent gang activity. When I told some people I was looking to buy downtown, I was told emphatically that I should not do this due to the crime that has increase dramatically in the past year do to gangs. I was told that even close to the market street corridor bad for crime now.

I am used to urban life, and it seemed like some of the people I met who did not live downtown might be over-reacting a bit. What is the real story. Real estate agents that I have talked seem reluctant to say anything.

Many thanks

Answers

4
Hi there,
I live in the area of downtown and have for quite some time and I'm also a REALTOR. I do feel safe where I live and have friends who specifically live in and around the historic district who feel the same. Car break ins, drunkenness, homeless, etc have been the norm in the area. Residents just deal with it and watch out for each other. There has been an increase in gang activity over the past several months, all of which has been well documented in the media. It has not kept me or any of my friends from frequenting downtown/Front St/Castle St businesses and it won't. We all feel safe when we go out. As a REALTOR we are not allowed to say specifically whether an area is absolutely safe or not because, as you know, what one views as unsafe another views as a non issue. It unfortunately does vary but I understand it can be frustrating.
Be glad to help if you'd like, feel free to contact me anytime
Thanks, Happy Saturday!

Lee Anne Rouse
larouse@wilmingtonnchomes.com
910.540.0282
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 19, 2013
Thanks Very much Lee Anne.
Flag Sat Oct 19, 2013
My son has lived safely in downtown Wilmington for 5 years. He bought a house there. Like any city there is crime. I'd say the stats are much worse in Chicago. Lots of people over react, especially if they live in the suburbs. All the music and restaurants are downtown. We walk around all the time at night. It's a great city. You'll enjoy living there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 1, 2014
Hi, You are right if Realtors did not give you an answer, by law they the REaltors are NOT allowed to
give information, or their personal opinion or anyone else's about a particular town, area or neighborhood to the buying or selling public, reason it could be and will be considered STEERING,
I.E. steering a buyer to a certain area or out of a certain area, no matter what the reasons may be.

Therefore if you as a Realtor, like me for example, they will only be able to suggest to you how to
get answers from other places, there are always websites that carry crime date and other info,
the towns websites have some information, and yes by all means if you are or if in my case my clients
are concerned I suggest to them to a) visit the local police dept, and ask
Once clients have narrowed in on a property in a neighborhood they think fits their needs
drive through it at different times of the day and days of the week to get a better feeling, and
yes Realtors can NOT knock at neighbors doors and ask about the neighborhood crime or other,
but you as a potential buyer can certainly contact a few neighbors and ask them what they like
or for that matter dislike about their neighborhood...

Hope this helps you a little... and also makes you understand why Realtors can not address such
questions. I also want to mention quickly, that picking a certain neighborhood, area or town is a very
personal decision, everyone, each and every buyer is different, looking for different things and there has to be some personal individual diligence by the buyers to make sure they are moving to a town, neighborhood or general area that fits all their or most of their needs. The same goes for schools
asking a Realtor if the schools are good, this decision is different for every parent, as it strongly depends on their kids needs as to physical education, or extra curricular classes offered, Same here
parents have to do their research on the internet, visit the schools beforehand!

Realtors though will be helping their clients with guiding them to various available resources....
Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties ---- EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
it is always best to talk to local law enforcement... That is the single best thing you can do... They are on those streets every single day... They know things no one else can tell you!
Safety is a huge issue for any home owner and you need to go straight to the source...
hi, I have lived downtown for the past 20 years and have been a Realtor for the past 8...would be happy to honestly answer any questions you may have based on my experience living there...Grace Hodgkins, Sold Buy the Sea Realty ghodgkins@ec.rr.com
Flag Sat Oct 19, 2013
With all due respect, that was exactly the type of non-answer that real estate agents have given. It would be great to hear from the residents of the neighborhood.
Flag Sat Oct 19, 2013