In My Neighborhood in 73013>Question Details

Teacher, Other/Just Looking in 73013

Can we annex ourselves from an HOA?

Asked by Teacher, 73013 Thu Jun 18, 2009

Answers

3
HOAs are established and you sign at closing that you will participate.
HOA' s in Oklahoma are part of the Selling Contract when you buy the property. I suppose unless you have that negotiated as part of an offer, then you are liable. You may want to check with an Attorney if you have an existing HOA you want to back out of, if that is what you are trying to do. I would be glad to suggest a Real Estate Attorney, if you need to find one.
Web Reference: http://home4golfers.com
I'm not sure what you mean by "annex" "from" a HOA--Do you mean you wish to withdraw from your HOA? Each state has specific laws and you should consult an attorney for your specific situation.

A HOA by nature requires mandatory membership. A change to this would require the members to approve it. Generally, dissolution of a HOA would require a huge majority of members to ratify such action. I have never heard of a HOA letting one party withdraw, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done I guess.

This is another reason why it's so important to know what you're getting into when you buy a specific piece of property.

IMHO the answer is "no."