In My Neighborhood in 33770>Question Details

Sherri Rose, Home Buyer in Largo, FL

Can my HOA mandate where my dog poops? Pup always on leash and I ALWAYS clean up, but some think I should carry her 2 streets over in the dark.

Asked by Sherri Rose, Largo, FL Mon May 6, 2013

Martha Matthews Vasquez’s answer
Most pet friendly condo complexes restrict areas for dogs to be walked. Some restrict owners to carrying dogs in elevators and until they get outside.

In HOAs there are those who don't want dogs in their yard for any reason. I live in a city with no HOA and there are residents who do not want dogs in their yards or the city easement. I'm sure you are a responsible pet owner but others are not. Some owners may have problems with walking barefoot where dogs have relieved themselves.

You've received good advice. It all depends on what your documents require.

If you are an owner, then you should have the rules and Reg of the HOA
If you are renting check with the owner.
If it is a complex make them show you the rules
You need to read the HOA rules to see what you can not do in your neighborhood. Best of luck
Yes, always refer to your Condo rules and regulations. The information provided can sometimes be interpreted differently from one person to the next. You may need to have a Real Estate attorney review if the situation becomes too troublesome.. Toni
You need to check your Condo rules and regulations
Sounds as it may be one person trying to set new rules but check

It all depends on what the HOA written rules are. Check your Declaration and Covenant Restrictions and any passed amendments. If you do not have a copy call your management company. Some have them on line on their community website. Some charge for them.

Pam Cohn
Broker Associate, GRI, SFR, NHS
Real Estate Consulting, Marketing & Sales
Prudential Tropical Realty
2539 Countryside Blvd #3 Clearwater, FL 33761
Thank you, Pam!
Flag Mon May 6, 2013
You will have to read your CC&R's and check with any regulations of your county and state.

In our area I have seen complexes require pets to be carried and a designated "poop" area.
Web Reference:
Thanks, Terri. These "rules" are set by old dog haters, and they make up the rules as they go. I do follow all county and state leash laws in Florida, so these haters need to leave us alone. I am a very courteous dog owner. I refuse to put my personal safety at risk at night in this "not very well lit" community.
Flag Mon May 6, 2013