In My Neighborhood in 97223>Question Details

Farinhite_451, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Can anyone tell me about Raleigh hills?

Asked by Farinhite_451, Los Angeles, CA Mon Dec 14, 2009

? My wife and I are considering relocating from Los Angeles, and have fould several homes in this area that we like. Where does the neighborhood fit into the heigherarchy of desirability? We're both professionals, late thirties no kids.

Answers

6
Raleigh Hills is one of the nicer close in west side neighborhoods, but if you guys are 1. from LA, and 2. 30's professionals with no kids, I would bet that you do NOT want to live in the Raleigh Hills. I would recommend close-in east side neighborhoods, Alberta-Arts, Buckman, Richmond, and Mt Tabor are some of my personal favorites (full disclosure- i live in the richmond/hawthorne area). Also look into some close in North Portland addresses, these are some very up and coming neighborhoods with new mass transit lines making things VERY accessible. I like the Overlook neighborhood as well as Kenton. Lots of charm, shops, energy and new homeownership make these areas WAY better than Raleigh hills. Raleigh hills has some really nice homes, wooded lots, but is ultimately much more suburban than these other places i've mentioned. Raleigh hills is not where the "flavor" is in my opinion.
-James
http://www.oregonmortgageblog.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 15, 2009
Hey, I live in Raleigh Hills myself, and I LOVE it! We moved here in 2006 from Los Angeles. It is a family-oriented neighborhood, I will agree, and you should consider that when you buy, because even if you don't have kids, good schools will keep the values up for when you sell, believe me! Both my kids have really enjoyed their experience in the Odyssey Program at Hayhurst School (which is a K-8 program), but I have also heard good things about most of the other schools around here, including Bridlemile, Maplewood, Rieke, etc. Some of Raleigh Hills is in Washington County, which means lower taxes, yes, and also Beaverton Schools, which are very highly regarded also, if anything even more so than the ones I just mentioned! I am just on the Multnomah County side of the line, unfortunately, but I have no complaints, because my taxes are still WAY LESS than they were in California!

I love being close to downtown also, and having multiple routes to get there, as well as most other desirable locations in Portland. We love going to Multnomah Village or Beaverton to eat or shop, and can walk to at least two grocery stores and many other shops and restaurants. (This was a very nice feature when most of Portland was snowed in a couple years ago!) We have a beautiful forest with a walking path just down the street, and not many other neighborhoods in Portland can match that, although almost all of Portland has great parks, I must admit! We really fell in love with this part of Portland when we moved here, because it feels like we are living in the mountains, yet everything is also very close and convenient. I like many of the areas James mentioned also, but I think it depends on what your interests are and what you value most, which area of Portland you would like most! One of the best things about Portland, I think, is that every neighborhood has it's own "flavor"...

Anyway, if you want me to check out a house or two here in Raleigh Hills or anywhere else in Portland for you before you move, let me know... I'll take tons of pictures and text them to you, tell you what's next door, across the street and behind, etc. all the things you usually don't see on the MLS, LOL... I specialize in "distressed" properties like short sales, bank-owned, HUD homes and auction houses, so I can help you get a great deal, too! Feel free to call for more info...

Sharon Wenger
Avalar West Realty
(503) 686-1665
Fair Housing Laws--real estate professionals are prohibited from “steering”—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; so, you should check out demographics on your own to assure your comfort level can be reached. After all opinions are just that.
Raleigh Hills is a very desirable neighborhood - only 7 miles to downtown Portland, close to great shopping, restaurants, etc. (3 miles to the best mall in Portland - Washington Square, 7 grocery stores within 3 miles), etc. If you want to see a great house in Raleigh Hills - check out our tudor style house which we will list for sale as soon as we return from the CA desert (April/May 2010). Our house is located in a very private neighborhood (no through traffic), backs to a green belt and Fanno Creek. It is a great house with many updates and is on one of the best lots in all of Portland.

Richard Scott
Home Seller
503-421-2335
Raleigh Hills is a very desirable neighborhood. It is desirable due to its access to downtown Portland. Located near a main thoroghfare, driving downtown can be accomplished by freeway or surface streets.
Homes in Raleigh Hills are older homes with a lot of character. The neightborhoods are older and established and typically have larger lot sizes.
Raleigh Hills is a great place to live! Let me know if I can help, I would be happy to help!

Heather Mertz-Wright
503-975-3483
Raleigh Hills is an older neighborhood with good access to down town Portland , Hwy 26 to Hillsboro, and 217 to the I-5 corridor. Depends a lot on where you are looking in Raleigh Hills, it is on the edge of Multnomah and Washington Counties, with very different property tax fees in Multnomah. There are some great neighborhoods depending on your price.

Let me know if I can help-503-464-6058.