Carol Knox, Home Buyer in Oakland Ave/Harrison...

Can anyone provide me with their perspective as to how they like this area? Considering buying... Thanks!

Asked by Carol Knox, Oakland Ave/Harrison St, Oakland, CA Mon Aug 9, 2010

Hi Carol,

I wasn't sure if you were asking about the neighborhood listed under your name, Oakland Ave./Harrison, or the Prescott area? I thought the question was about Prescott- which is part of West Oakland. If indeed you're inquiring of Prescott, here are my thoughts: check out the website: This is a really good local site. I have a friend Marcus who has lived there for decades, and he frequently posts.. feel free to email Marcus through the site. He is exceptionally knowledgeable about the area, about the neighborhood events, crimewatch, politics, developments, and is an all around wealth of info about the area.
I've sold a couple of homes there to first timers who got great deals on homes that needed work. Both couples have told me they're enjoying life there so far. Like many parts of the "flatlands" of Oakland, either west or east, it is really important to drive around, walk around and talk to people there prior to putting an offer in on anything. Lots of info online to check out too!

If I misunderstood, and you are asking about Oakland/Harrison.. different feel in that part of town. The individuals and couples I know who live in condos there complain about parking and traffic, and what may be an uptick in car break ins. However, they love the proximity to Whole Foods, the lake, downtown and overall central location.

Good luck, and feel free to contact me if I may help!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 10, 2010
I hope you are talking about the Oakland Ave area. I live there now and have been for 5 years. I mostly like it, but I am a little over it and this point and would like to move closer to downtown/more stuff/more walkable. It is convenient, easy commute to SF, decent public transit options. I have walked home from BART at night alone plenty of times, and have felt safe...except for when I see the black cat. ;) People are friendly, and on the whole is it pretty safe. It is also mostly quiet. My biggest beefs? Sometimes it is hard to cross Oakland/Harrison and cars tend to fly by. There have been some occasional property crime incidents (not to me) but I have heard it happens. The bulk of the buildings have at least 1 parking space, so that is something to keep in mind if you have 2 cars. I typically do not hear much, but I face an "alley" between 2 buildings and leave my windows open 24/7/365. Sometimes I hear people talking and what not.

I think that condos have overall heald their value pretty well, and they are pretty large. Lots of 1 bedrooms being converted to 2 bedrooms. FYI: since the buildings are older, you are unlikely to have in-unit laundry in a condo. This may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

The neighborhood is a mix of singles, typically 25+, young couples and young families. Not many student types in the immediate vicinity. You'll also run into 55+ people as well. It is pretty diverse, although not many kids over 5.
Hello Carol,

My personal opinion is that the closer to 580 you stay, the better the homes and the neighborhoods. I've yet to hear any complaints about the freeway noise, as I've been working in the alameda county area for quite some time now.

Kamal Randhawa
Keep in mind that opinions are often subjective and what may be good for one is not necessarily the case for another--if you are not familiar with the area(s), do visit more than once and at different times of day--look at everything that is important to you, get a sense of belonging, etc., then make your determination, will your comfort level be reached.
Hello Carol:

The area in question is different per street really.
Oakland and Harrison are very busy streets, so I would not consider them "walking" area.
Side streets of these two major roads are great. The closer you get to the Lake the better ( or the further away from the 580 noise).
Some area's are mostly condo style living. So if interested in a SFR, you may want to be more precise in what streets you are interested in.
You are very close to shopping and restaurants, and the park and lake.
We would need get more detailed requirements from you here. Tell me what street exaclty.
Antoine. Check my site for extensive info
Hi Carol,
the area can't be beat for walking and being in the center of the universe. Oakland and Harrison are both busy streets, so if that bothers you it could be a problem.
This area is great if you like to be within walking distance to restaurants, shops and stores. You are located in between Piedmont, Grand and Lakeshore Avenues that all have very good selections for convenient living. The walking score for this area is ranked high at 93 and fits the lifestyle of single people or couples who commute into the City or surrounding areas. Public transportation is pretty accessible via bus and freeway access but not walking distance to BART. This may not be a first choice for a family with children who would be attending public schools or one who has multiple vehicles and would have to park on the street as parking is limited. There is Lake Merritt close by which is great for taking a walk or run but, like any metro area, be aware of your surroundings at night. I have personally lived and worked in this area and know it very well. Please check out this link if you would like to know more about Oakalnd or feel free to contact me directly.
there has a beauty lake for people bbq, walking and boating.
Also, there has good shopping area, gas station, supermarket, and many restaurant too.
It is close to freeway 580, 880 and 13 for good transportation, and have bus stop 1 to go china town within 5 minutes.