In My Neighborhood in 21663>Question Details

Phoebe, Home Buyer in Mission Viejo, CA

Can a person swim in the many rivers and creeks there in Talbot Co?

Asked by Phoebe, Mission Viejo, CA Thu Mar 4, 2010

Answers

12
Wink Cowee’s answer
Having spent my childhood in the waters of Balls Creek along the shores of Neavitt, MD just outside of St Michaels, I would definitely say that swimming is not only possible but almost mandatory during the hottest days during the summer. There are several sandy beaches along the shores of our many creeks and rivers, many of them not posted with signs or on maps. Both sides of the Oxford Ferry as well as a relatively unknown beach near the Claiborne warf would be my first choices. Avoind rocky shorelines as they are covered with sharp oyster shells that can inflict serious injury if not respected. If possible access the water from a boat or rent a boat and visit one of the many "water access only" beaches along the shores of the Miles River. If you would like more info on the "secret"beaches in teh area, give me a call or send me an email and I would be happy to help.

Ridge Cowee
rcowee@bensonandmangold.com
410-714-0007
Hi Phoebe and to answer your question YES! I live on the water in Saint Michaels and swim quite often during the warmer months. I do wear aqua socks so I don't hurt my feet on the oyster shells but the water temperature is lovely ... a little on the warm side which is how I like it!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 30, 2010
Join us at the 22nd Annual Cardboard Boat Races, June 26th at the Strand in Oxford. You'll see a lot of people in the water, some not intentionally. This event is a fundraiser for Maryland Special Olympics and the Oxford Pool. Part of the day's event is the 'wade out' to measure the depth of water clarity.
Like Jim, I'm a native & learned to swim in the Tred Avon and Miles rivers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 16, 2010
Hi Elizabeth...Gee thanks for the update. I've been in St. MICHAELS for about 9 years now and had never heard that. I'll have to get out more I suppose. I do so appreciate you bringing me up to speed!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 8, 2010
Hello Mary - Just responding to your comment about St Michaels. The locals actually dislike the term "St Mike's" very much. It is St Michaels and beautiful.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 7, 2010
Hi Phoebe,
First hand information...We are avid boaters and members of the Miles River Yacht Club, which I highly recommend, but yes, you most definitely can swim in the Miles River and it's tributaries. We do it every year although as Jim said, the sea nettles get to be a problem later in the summer. If you are boaters, it is an easy run up to Kent Narrows with more great spots for socializing and dining.

St. Mikes, as it is know locally, is a great place to live!

Please contact me if I can be of assistance

Mary Wagner
mary-wagner.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 6, 2010
I also grew up on the water in Oxford. What the other answers regarding swimming in the waters don't seem to be mentioning are the sea nettles that are quite active from about the end of May trough September. The are also known as "jelly fish". Their sting is very painful. There are some summers that they aren't quite so prevelent, but most of the time they kept me from swimming very much.

I will be happy to speak with you more about the area if you like, Marrie Retallack, 28 year agent with Coldwell Banker. mretallack@cbchesapeake.com
There are several places around town where swimming is not only possible, but encouraged. The Ferry Landing on both the Bellvue and Oxford sides, along a strip of land known as The Strand on the Oxford side provides a nice sandy beach and a sandy river bottom, as well.

The Royal Oak/Bellvue side has a smaller beach and draws lots of children whose parents are in line to take the ferry across to Oxford for Highland Creamery's ice cream. It's also a great place to watch dog owners get some training in retrieving from their Chessie's.

Lowe's Wharf has swim floaters, rafts and a beach with ladders to the water. You can relax, watch the sun set and sip an Orange Crush while waiting for your dinner to be served.

Of course, there's also the unintended kerplop into the drink from many a dock or deck during the warmest of days. You learn to always carry a towel in the trunk of your car. And limit those Orange Crushes.
Yes, you can swim in our local rivers and creeks, and often I see boaters on the Miles River who take advantage of this. Swimming off docks and jumping off boats is not only a great way to stay cool, but it is also great fun! In fact, the local children often go "bridge jumping" in Tunis Mills, which is a tradition here in Talbot County that has almost become a right of passage. This is just one example of the fantastic quality of life Talbot County has to offer. To learn more about our little town and Talbot County, please feel free to contact me or visit my website at http://www.stmichaels.com

Monica Penwell
Lacaze Meredith Real Estate
http://www.stmichaels.com
410-310-0225
The mojority of the people do not like to do this. I grew up on a lake in germany and am quite used to swimming in natural waters and not only pools.
As long as there are no jelly fish (they come in July) I love to float with my four legged friends in the water of the Miles River. The water will stay warm much longer than the pools.....
Hello Phoebe
I really don't see many folks going in the water here unless sailing, boating, etc. In St Michaels, there is an outdoor pool - Bay Hundred Pool - that many of the visitors prefer to use or the Miles River Yacht Club also has a pool.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require further information or are coming to the area. Talbot County is beautiful and has many activities to suit all tastes. Are you planning to move full-time?
My website is http://www.stmichaelsrealestate.net
Thank
Elizabeth Y Foulds
Lacaze Meredith Real Estate
(A Long & Foster Company)
St Michaels, MD 21663
410-924-1959 cell
Absolutely - The water is not as clear on most days as it was 20 years ago mostly from sentiment and in late summer we often have an issue with sea nettles (they sting) this is dependent on the salinity level. But generally speaking swimming is safe. Would be most happy to assist you in any manor if you are considering a move to the Talbot County or eastern Shore area
Jim Bent
Benson and Mangold
410-924-0901