In My Neighborhood in 08203>Question Details

wilywank6030, Home Buyer in Brigantine, NJ

Brigantine appears to have fallen on some hard times. Was down a couple of weeks ago looking at a couple of potential purchases and walked away with

Asked by wilywank6030, Brigantine, NJ Wed Aug 15, 2012

doubts about buying here. Many properties throughout the Island appear to lacking up keep and maintenance. Certainly not holding value or quality of life as Sea Isle or Ocean City. Certainly more affordable; but not sure I would buy here.

Answers

9
Disagree. The island's median sale price held steady for the first six months of 2012 against the same period in 2011 and total number of units sold were up by 20%. The quality of life is excellent and I am not saying this as a realtor but as a full time resident. We have an excellent police force and large beautiful beaches to enjoy without the crowds you get in OC or SIC. Your appreciation potential here is excellent because the island is not as over-built as OC or SIC and has much potential for future growth as can be evidenced by the increasing number of new construction starts we have seen over this past year. Think you need to come back for another look. Call me at 609-703-9093 (cell) unless you are under a buyer agency agreement with another agent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 17, 2012
We are full time in Brig for the past 3 years, have owned since 2004. I agree with others that the island is a great place to live, safe and relatively quiet even during the season.

I do however think the island suffers from some challenges due to demographics, not relative to A/C, but because the overall population is small (
Thanks Beth, appreciate your insight and perspective.
From the Philly area. Have been taking the family to Brigantine for @10 years. We love Brigantine -- no down side to it; easily one of teh best places on the Shore because of its quietude, quality of life, and seclusion! A few more points: 1) AC is irrelevant to Brigantine. Yes, it is affordable enough for a certain sector of AC workers to buy there. But Brigantine will never go away, regardless of the casino economy: it has a "shore" economy. 2) The distressed sector of the Brigantine market is $750k-$1.5M homes. Those folks are having a hard time holding them. And people with money are "buying down" -- no more reckless overspending, depending in equities that may not be there. So actually, the market for a quality property under $500K is pretty tight -- at least I found it so-- because that sector is moving. And really quality homes in that sector are increasing, and will continue to increase, in value. So if you're buying, I wouldn't wait -- I didn't. What I found was a very nice place that I got for a bit less than the buys got it at -- 10 years ago. With 3% mortgages, how can you miss that?
Brigantine suffers from two forces , the declining RE market and what looks like the collapse of Atlantic Cities casino industry.Brigantine was becoming a bed room community for AC. Today there are about 730 properties for sale in Brigantine ,almost half are single family properties, In there best month , March, they sold about 17 properties,that represents a 43 month supply of houses.Very unhealthy ! I have been looking in Brigantine off and on , mostly off since 2004 when by luck my offer on a SFP was rejected,man that agent wailed, "you gotta come up . way up...bla,bla,bla.." I haven't noticed the run down properties,but I appreciate your observations,since I plan to look again next year.
My biggest concern is the amount of foreclosures all over the island,and the empty properties the banks are holding as REO.
I think Brigantine can be a nice family island again , question is when ?
Also ,never believe the nonsense the RE agents try to fed you down there.Check the CASE/SHILLER local index , not the National which can be very misleading,since the vacation home market is still in tatters.
look elsewhere pleeez. we were not made for each other... signed: brigantine
Trust me, you will barely even realize that it is connected to Atlantic City. I lived in a few different places in Brigantine for about 4 years when I was in college, and visited there before, and it is wonderful. The people are fairly nice, there are lots of great restaurants, the fishing is great, the beaches are wonderful. It's the kind of place where there's something for everyone, and it's a great place for kids to grow up. There's not a lot of places in today's world where you can walk around freely without worrying about the neighborhood that you're in, and Brigantine is one of those few places where adults and kids alike can walk around at all hours of the day and night and know that they are safe. Brigantine is a great place to live, full of great people.
appreciate the feedback. I am not bashing Brigantine, just seeking information prior to making a major purchase. Sea Isle is not full of drunks, trust me I spend part of last week there. Brigantine should have Sea Isle's problems with the propery values and almost 100% rental capacity every summer.

Brigantine has beautiful beaches without question. My concern is the demographics of being connected to Atlantic City.
Tell me, where is the quality of life in Sea Isle or Ocean City?? Ocean City just closed their beaches because of a sewer leakage and Sea Isle is so full of drunks, I don't know how it stays afloat. If you walked away from any potental purchases in Brigantine, then you are foolish. Now is the time to buy in Brigantine, prices are affordable and the rates are low. Brigantine is a beautiful island and one of the best kept secrets around! If you buy in Brigantine, you will not regret it. Gorgeous new homes and quaint older homes, it is a fabulous island community.