In My Neighborhood in 27520>Question Details

Tad, Renter in 27520

Are there property taxes on a Carport in Clayton NC 27520?

Asked by Tad, 27520 Thu Jan 26, 2012

I want to live in an RV park in My 5th wheel camper and put it under a carport. The carport is not perminate just a metal roof with steel post ancored to the ground with rebar. All sides and ends open.

Answers

2
If you had to get a permit to put it up, most likely you will pay taxes on it. When you list your RV for tax purposes, legally the carport must be listed. If you do not list it, of course and did not require a permit then you don't. My suggestion is call the tax office and ask them.
Good morning, Tad.
Generally, property improvements which require a permit to install are included in a property tax assessment. My guess is that a carport structure which is designed and installed to meet building codes will be considered a permanent structure and subject to property tax. If you ask a city/county planning zoning officer, the building permit department and the county tax assessor for your area, you will likely get to the correct answer. If you appreciate an answer, please give "thumbs up". For the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a "best answer" click.