In My Neighborhood in 33319>Question Details

Gary Lloyd, Home Buyer in Coral Springs, FL

Are the waterways navigabel? I never see a boat anywhere.

Asked by Gary Lloyd, Coral Springs, FL Thu May 31, 2012

Answers

8
First of all I think there is a problem of semantics in your question and the answer depends on how the reader interprets the question. A waterway is a way in the water or on the water and by definition is a navegable body of water, otherwise is not a waterway. Assuming you live in the 33319 zipcode which is mostly part of the City of Lauderhill, in that area waterways have no direct outlet to the sea by the huge number of streets and avenues that cross the shallow draft and in consequence there is not a significance of boats and yachts traffic at all , not to mention that the vast majority of residential properties in the area who are on the water channels do not have the proper infrastructure such as ramps and docks in that area to look a considerable traffic vessels. If you want to see boats almost everywhere , you have to go to the eastside of Broward county and more properly to the city of Fort Lauderdale and its neighboring municipalities like Pompano Beach, Hollywood, Hallandale Beach, Dania Beach and Deeerfield Beach mostly on the east of I-95 expressway and alongside of Intercoastal waterway.
Gary,

You need to be more specific as to what is exactly your interpretation of nagigable. All waterway canals are navigable but most canals west of I-95 are not accessible to the ocean. Those western canals have limited navigation and only allow for very small boats (rubber rafts, maybe jet-skis, or .5 HP motor barges) to putter around certain neighborhoods - boring - and that would explain why you don't get to see many boats on them. And if you find one canal that will branch out to the ocean, it will take you about 2 + hours at idle speed to get there and you will be limited to many very low bridges along the way by which you have to calculate your trips according to tides.

But for those who live on the east side of I-95, there are two sets of canals: those who have fixed bridges (limits the size of boats) and those who are "no-fixed-bridges" (allowing for mega yachts and sailboats). Teh no fixed-bridges areas do offer daily boat parades. That is one of many reasons why properties on the east side of I-95 are so much more in demand than their western counterpart and, consequently, command more value and the values increase exponentially as properties get closer to the ocean.
Gary,

I agree with John about the waterways in the area of 33319. Some of the canals are cleaner than others, which is great for kayaks, canoes and small fishing boats. However, other canals aren't the cleanest and are best only for water runoff from the roads when it rains.

I hope this information is helpful!

Chad Gray, Realtor
Luxury Living Fort Lauderdale
754-300-6040
Gary,

In the 33319 area, those canals are not navigable out to the Intracoastal which opens to the ocean at a few places. But they are somewhat navigable within those canals around neighborhoods with many low fixed bridges to pass. So, only digny boats can make it and I guess that would be very boring to be putt-putting around the same neighborhood over and over, again. That's what I suspect is the reason why you don't see any boats floating about.
Ft. Lauderdale is considered the Venice of America. We have many waterways and most are navigable. The Intracoastal was built by the Core of Engineers so that boats could travel from the southeast up to the northeast United States without ever having to go into the ocean. Just Google the Intracoastal Waterway. It is very interesting. The waterways in west Broward are mainly storm drainage canals and they have locks that controls the water levels. You cannot travel far on a boat on those. I live in a condo overlooking the Intracoastal and there is a constant parade of boats everyday.

Barbara Easton-Irvin
Atlantic Properties International
954-740-7855

Check out my webstie at http://www.FortLauderdaleHomes4U.net
Hi Gary,

Per your question on Trulia > Are the waterways navigabel? I never see a boat anywhere.

Contact me 'Lynne Knapp' (965) 647-5335 Cellular, or email me the best number and time to call you to chat!

Lynne Knapp, Realtor
ReMax Consultants Realty 1
Ft Lauderdale FL
LynneKnapp@aol.com
http://LynneKnapp.com
Web Reference: http://LynneKnapp.ReMax.com
To which waterways do you refer to? Canals in Coral Springs or?......
IF you are talking about canals in neighborhoods are the county, than the canals are manmade, as part of the water management control, mainly in preparation for hurricanes.
Depends on location, boating will be limited based on boat size vs. height of fix bridges, etc.
In some areas, Home Owner Association restrict any boat usage, beside electric powered boats...

Meir Aloni & Team
CRS (Certified Residential Specialist)
CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert)
RECS (Real Estate Cyber Society)

Successfully selling Broward County since 1986!

Direct phone# 954-338-5220

All Star Realty Inc.
Hi Gary,

Most of the waterways are navigable although some are restricted by fixed bridges. In fact, Fort Lauderdale is nicknamed the Venice of America due to our extensive waterway system. I have a contact at state department of transportation that helps me determine the clearance of the bridges and what size boat could fit under.

Are you looking for property to buy or rent? I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about what you are looking for to help you find a great property to call home. I can send you listings of properties that match your criteria and schedule showings at your convenience. If you are looking for waterfront with navigable waterways, I will make sure it can accommodate your boat or any boat you plan to get in the future.

Please feel free to call, text, or email me anytime, day or night.

Hope you're having a great day!

Kate Stout
954.895.6939
kmstout@gmail.com

Castelli Fort Lauderdale Real Estate Services
3908 N. Ocean Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308