Seanf, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Are power lines a health hazard?

Asked by Seanf, San Francisco, CA Fri Mar 8, 2013

Answers

5
Phyllis Mcarthur’s answer
I have heard so many different tales of people who live under or close to these power lines over a long period of time have suffered odd ailments. Linda lorenzo has some of the stories that she post a link to.

I think the only issue with living close to these lines is that they are not very attractive and block you view to bay trails in some parts of the bay area
This has been a long time question and debate. You can call PG&E and they will conduct a test on the EMF (electronic magnetic field). They'll give you readings from various parts of the house, both inside and out. Then they will compare those readings to electrical items you use on a daily basis.

Power lines are everywhere, you drive under them all day long. There are some people who will not purchase a home if a transformer is located within a certain range of the house. The argument from those who have concerns is the length of time you are exposed to EMF's. I've lived near power towers and have sold near power towers. You will hear differences of opinions. You will have to make a decision on the information provided to you and how you feel about the power towers.

From a lending decision if you are going FHA they do not want to lend on a home if it is located within the fall line of a power tower. Don't confuse tower with poles which carry the lines from one point to an other.

Because of this resale and value of homes located in close proximity to power towers and transformers are affected.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
If they were there would be no homes under or near them. Breathing in LA is a health hazard but there are plenty that do it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 8, 2013
I don't think that question is fully answered yet. There have been reports that attributed serious health effects to emf. I have seen an article recently that suggested that there could be great differences in individual sensitivity. Cautions about holding a cell phone next to your head seem to be more common and more mainstream. I've lived close to neighborhood distribution lines for a long time, haven't liked it, but haven't had a problem because of it.
Here is a link to an interesting study done on this: http://www.electrical-res.com/high-power-lines-health-hazard/
You can also get a meter from the electrical company to test a home to see if there is any "leakage" coming in.