In My Neighborhood in 28443>Question Details

Laryan23, Home Buyer in Leland, NC

Also considering retirement in WIlmington/Hampstead area. Have college are son. How far is Hampstead from UNCW and Cape Fear Community College?

Asked by Laryan23, Leland, NC Fri Jul 26, 2013

What are the taxes, HOA's and flood insurance like? How well does Hampstead do during huricane season? So close to the beach!

UNCW is 18 mi, about a 25 min drive, from the Hampstead line.
Hampstead taxes are lower than Wilmington.
HOA depends on the neighborhood, most are reasonable. The higher HOA's usually have great neighborhood amenities!
Flood insurance is not required in most areas. You can find homes without a flood zone right down the road from the beach.
The last hurricane was in 2011 which did minimal damage.

If you have any other questions, feel free to give us a call! 910-367-2965
Hello Laryan~

I am a Hampstead resident and love it here! I especially enjoy the quieter pace while enjoying everything Wilmington has to offer in about a 20 minute drive.

If you have any questions regarding financing a new home, please feel free to contact me!

CertusBank Mortgage
Lourdes Best
Branch Manager
Mortgage Lending - Wilmington

1017 Ashes Drive Suite 106
Wilmington, NC 28405
910.509.0300 Office
910.508.6696 Mobile
Hi Laryan and thank you for this question.

I live and broker in Hampstead and where you live in our town determines the length of time it takes to access different areas of Wilmington. I live in the south end just 5 minutes north of the Hampstead/Wilmington line and it only take me 15 minutes to drive to the Mayfaire shopping center and 20-25 minutes to UNCW depending on traffic. Hampstead stretches another 15 minutes north. Hampstead is growing with a new Lowe's shopping center, more local restaurants, shops and of course, McDonald's and Hardee's, but it is unique in its own right. At the south end, we are 20 minutes south of Topsail Island and 20 minutes north of Wrightsville Beach. In the past year to two years, more and more new homes have been built and continue to be built by such builders as DR Horton, Bill Clark Homes, Stevens Fine Homes, 70 West Builders, Hardison Builders and the list continues. I specialize in new home builds and sales should you decide to head in that direction.

Our tax rate is .627 which you can use to determine the amount of taxes against your home purchase price. One thing that makes this area unique is that the homesites in most areas are a good size, typically not less than .5 acre, because our county land is not hooked up to city sewer yet. However, there are communities that have their own sewer plant and others that have septic and county water.

As noted, there are many areas even less than 1 mile from the intracoastal that are not in a flood zone and do not require flood insurance.

Good luck with your decisionmaking.
Cecilia Litvak
Coldwell Banker Sea Coast Advantage
(910)352-2560 Email:
Hi Laryan:

Your post on has been forwarded to me and I will be happy to answer your questions.
My name is Pat McClain, a Trulia representative and Real Estate Broker with Century 21 Action.

As you probably know, Hampstead is a small community located between the major cities of Jacksonville and Wilmington, NC and Surf City, a coastal town, is only about a ten minute drive where there are several excellent restaurants located on the oceanfront and just off the island as well.

Hampstead offers water access and golf communities and the new 140 makes the travel to and from Wilmington fast and easy. The shopping there is excellent and parking usually isn't a problem as there are parking decks for the shops on the river front and ample parking in any of the shopping centers.

As far as flood insurance in Hampstead, many areas do not require this insurance at all and is an option of the homeowner to purchase. The taxes are lower than in Wilmington since there is only a county tax. As an example, real estate taxes on my 2100 square foot home in Hampstead runs approximately $1,500 annually.

I hope this has been helpful, but should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know. You can reach me at of my cell 910-471-3031,

Hi Laryan23,

Hampstead is about 45 minutes from UNCW and Cape Fear Community College. Taxes are reasonable because you are only paying county taxes and not city. HOA's are also reasonable and there are nice properties in Hampstead that do not require and HOA. Depending on where you live in Hampstead hurricanes are comparable to Leland, unless you live right on the water.

Please fill free to call or email me with more questions!

Sophie Munsch