Kenneth Zink, Home Buyer in Vallejo, CA

Asked by Kenneth Zink, Vallejo, CA Mon Jun 4, 2012

Thanks I really haven't seen any areas in Portland that I think are a den of vipers, but if there is one, I'd sure like to know here it is.. I lived in Portland from 2007 to 2009, but moved back to the bay area when prices crashed and I was able to purchase a 3 bedroom 2 bath 1650 sq ft Arts & Crafts bungalow that sold for $430,000 in 2006 to the previous owner who remodeled the kitchen with new cabinets and granite countertops but lost the home to the bank in 2009. I only paid $121,000. If I had been able to buy a bungalow in Portland like this I might have stayed, but prices were still in about the $250,000 range then. Of course how things change. I'm seeing some great house for less than I paid for my 800 sq ft condo in NE (I paid $200,000 in 2007) or my rent house on NE Going St for $206,000 that's worth about what I owe on it now.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 5, 2012
Hi Kenneth - you have heard this before but Real Estate Brokers can't really speak to crime in any area. You can go to and put in the address you are looking at and see a map of area and crime stats.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 4, 2012
Not sure what area you are looking in, but is an excellent resource for crime statistics. You can also go online to the local law enforcement sites if it falls outside of the realm of Portland Maps to locate crime stats. If you need help buying or selling a home, we are here to help.
i'm not a realtor so I can answer this question. YES! There is a huge problem with drug activity in this area. not to meantion the new porn shop open 24 hours on 124th and powell.
Check portland for tons of info about neighborhoods including census, crime stats, etc. then touch bases with me to get lined up with full info on the houses available in the area.

Mike Curtis
Exit Realty Your Next Move
30 years, 1500+ clients
Linda and Janice gave the best answers and thumbs up to them. Like Carla, Im a CA transplant from 1993. Santa Cruz. Know Vallejo very well.

We have to walk a fine line on subjects such as crime. Its dangerous legal ground for us to be involved in that type of information sharing.
Hey Kenneth -- I noticed you're in Vallejo, CA. You thinking of moving up to the great Pacific NW anytime soon?? We moved up here from So. Cal in1990 -- best move ever!!

About the specifics of crime, as others have stated, we can't get into that. But the question is asked and it's all so subjective. What are "problems"? What is "crime"? Heck, in my neighborhood the problems are dogs pooping in other people's yards and it's a crime. ;-) So it's all subjective.

The Powellhurst/Gilbert area has some plus and minus factors as any area will have. All things being relative, it's all about the buyers' price range and where they can afford to be. I've sold a place last December in the area of new construction, my clients got a great deal, were living in another part of Portland and for them it was a step up, so it's all subjective. I've not heard of the area as being a den of vipers or having other major stigmas. To the contrary, there are plans to improve walking trails

Happy SE Portland Campers:…

Carla Muss-Jacobs, Principal Broker/Owner
EBA Portland, LLC
Exclusive Buyer Agency Helping Buyers since 1999
Realtors will not be able by law to give you this kind of information, but there are many websites where you can find the information, and once you are focusing in on a certain property just go to the local police department and get your information f

Hope this helps

Good Luck to you..
@Properties North Shore, 30 Green Bay Road, Winnetka, Il. 60093
Feel free to visit my website for more information, services, free information etc.

Have a wonderful Day
Hi Kenneth,
Real Estate Brokers aren't allowed to talk about crime in an area but with all the info on the internet these days, it's easy to find. If the property is in the Powellhurst neighborhood then you can go to and input the property address and get all kinds of information, including specifics about crime, types of crime, charts, etc, to answer all your questions. You can usually call the police station that services the area you're interested in, and discuss with them as well. Good luck! Marge
Your best source of crime stats is Just put in the address you are looking for and it will come up with all kinds of information and crime rankings.