How To... in Austin>Question Details

Mari,  in Austin, TX

whats the best way to get your real estate license inexpensively?

Asked by Mari, Austin, TX Mon Aug 29, 2011

whats the best way to get your real estate license inexpensively. i need 210 hours, and work a full time job. do i need to find a broker first before i take classes? need help

0 votes Share Flag How To... in Austin

Answers

9
Hi mari,

Getting your license is not really the expensive part. It is all of the costs that go into getting estabilished. If money is tight for you, you may want to hold off or reconsider. I am a registered nurse in addtion to a real estate agent, and I have continued to work in the hospitals while I also do real estate full time. Having a steady income to fall back on is certainly a handy thing to have.

I was able to take an online course ( I learn best that way, by reading). it cost me about $750. The finger printing, background check, and TREC state test cost me about another $250. Total cost of getting a license - about $1000.

Then comes the fun part...

Real estate association fees (NTREIS in my case) - about $500 startup (initial fee plus 6 months).
Brokerage signup ($300 I think it was)
Key card - $250 activation
Business cards
Professional photo
Open House signs
Website, domain name, hosting, design, IDX system
Printing flyers, postcards, mailers
etc
etc
etc
etc

The costs really add up once you get your license and don't really let up since there are always monthly fees for everything.

If you would like to discuss more, feel free to call or email me any time.

It's more than real estate. it's RAYL-Estate!

Brian Rayl
Keller Williams Elite - Dallas, TX
972-949-4222
Brian@Rayl-Estate.com
http://BrianRayl.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 29, 2011
Rayl-estate. Gayest thing I've ever seen.
Flag Wed Dec 4, 2013
I would recommend you give this more thought. Real Estate currently is a survival of the fittest game. Buyers are scarce, lending is strict and sellers are cranky because their properties have lost value. Just know what your getting into. If money is an issue maybe just take one at a time till you get to your goal. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 29, 2011
Mari,

http://www.texasrealtorsuniversity.com/
Otherwise check out the community colleges in the area.

You can take the classes and the test first and then find a broker.

When you are ready we would like to speak with you about joining Keller Williams.

The link below will give you more information about what to consider when interviewing a broker.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Mari,

Some companies have programs that include aspiring agents and will invest in their training. This is normally done with an agreement that includes the assurace that the agent will remain with the company under the penalty of repaying the training costs.

Mari,
Pretty good outline from the other TX agents. NO need for choosing a broker until you take the final tests (and pass). The cost for the 210 hrs is from about $750 and up. I did mine online so it was self paced and could be done when I had the time. I found it to be very user friendly. I'd suggest that while taking the 210 hours find some time to interview several brokers. Agreeing to monthly "fixed costs" is the pitfal many fall into wether it's from the broker or others that try to sell you a service. Many brokers have monthly office fees that add up and never stop! The second broker question is commission splits. Big name brokers do not necessarily bring you business.
When all was said and done by the time I actually was licensed and up and running I'd spent about $2,500.00.

It's very state to state .I believe it will be same. But if you do this business you will be OK. Thank you.
Mari,

It's going to cost you about the same no matter where you go. And we all pay the same dues to ABOR and TREC, What you need to research is what your potential broker is going to charge you AFTER you get licensed. And you do not need to get a broker before you get licensed.

I do recruiting for my company and we have a wonderful business model fif you want to sign on. If you would like to contact me offline my info is below.

And for the record, when it's slow is the BEST time to get into real estate (so long as you're not completely dependent on the income). It seems that it's being assumed that you are strapped for cash when you're only wanting to know how to inexpensively get licensed. I got licensed in early 2008 and I was asked multiple times," Why are you getting licensed when things are so bad?" Truthfully, I was able to learn and get help because people had time to help me and I was not rushing around trying to figure it all out on my own.

Just my .02

With kind regards,

Angele Moyseos
Realtor®
VOX Real Estate LLC
mobile 512.466.8252
fax 888.692.0213
escapesomewhere.com
You don't need to find a broker before you begin taking your classes but it would help...and there's no inexpensive way of getting your license! You still have to put in the time whether at your computer or sitting in a real estate class. I would suggest real estate class as you get the energy and interaction with others plus the "war stories" from your instructor.

A real estate license will cost you a nice chunk of change so I would suggest you get $$$ amounts from Texas Real Estate Commission and the Austin Board of Realtors as to how much you will need to pay AFTER you complete your classes....

Hope this helps.
In my opinion it depends how much time you have. If you value your time as money (and you will once you are doing real estate full time) then maybe the class room route may not be the right one for you. They all roughly are within a few hundred dollars of one another. So, I would ask yourself--what exactly do I plan to do with this license? (personal use, do a few transactions or career change and full time)? THEN from there determine what kind of learner you are? Personally I took a few in the classroom, I like to be submerged in things, listen to lectures, take notes, etc. this took A LOT of time. However, I finished by taking classes online. There is also the correspondence route if you are the "sit down and read through" type. So, with you working full time I would recommend online, doing it at your own pace in the evening or when you have time--set out goals of how many hours you are going to work on it. No need to talk to a broker until after you pass that test. A good book to help you pass the exam is "How to Pass the Texas Real Estate License Exam" Imagine that? I took the practice tests in there that helped A LOT. Then after you get your license, talk to at least four brokers before making decisions. Good luck! PS the TREC website, under education, has a list of educators for those looking to get their license.