How To... in Mount Prospect>Question Details

Elizabeth, Home Owner in Mount Prospect, IL

sq. footage of my house is incorrect. The one the government is using for RE taxes in cook Co., Ill. How do you remeasure,what is included?

Asked by Elizabeth, Mount Prospect, IL Sat Aug 13, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


If this is helpful, in Lake County IL they use the exterior dimensions of the home to determine square footage inside the home. This can mean the actual dimensions are off a bit if you have thick walls, like thick stone walls. They don't count basements that are completely underground as square footage (for tax purposes) as "living space" but I'm not sure about English or walkout basements, I think those are calculated differently.

If you have them come out to remeasure make sure you know what you're doing so they don't remeasure and you come out owing more. Also, if you decide to let them in your house to document something to reduce taxes, like that the basement is unfinished, they are more than likely to take photos. Make sure you're ok with that first.

Check all the details of your tax bill carefully for mistakes. They had my home listed as a two floor home when it's just a ranch, a detail that made a difference in my tax bill. They had exterior photos of my home on file which was obvious that it was a ranch so they just made the correction. I also found out they used an old listing of my home that was over 15 years old as the basis to make changes to my real estate taxes and increase them. The information entered by that real estate agent way back then was incorrect. In other words, you have to be constantly vigilant of changes and errors, even if never there before, because they will most likely not be in your favor.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 26, 2012
In NC, we have a nice guide that explains square footage and how to calculate it. When reporting square footage, North Carolina real estate agents should carefully follow these Residential Square Footage Guidelines or any other standards that are comparable to them, including those approved by the American National Standards Institute, Inc. (ANSI) which are recognized by the North Carolina Real Estate Commission as comparable standards.
If you are uncertain, you can probably find an appraiser to measure, or look in your area for measuring men, house measurers or similar that provide Realtors with square footage measurements ...and if you like this reply, please give it a "thumbs up" or "best answer".
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 14, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer