How To... in Sparta>Question Details

Miguel, Home Owner in Sparta, NJ

is my tax a fair assesment?

Asked by Miguel, Sparta, NJ Mon Apr 2, 2012

0 votes Share Flag How To... in Sparta

Answers

3
Yes, it's too late to challenge this years assessment, but there's no reason no reason not to start thinking about next year. My clients recently hired an appraised to handle a tax appeal for them. He got their taxes reduced from $18,954 to $11,927! I'd be happy to pass along his information if you are interested.

Your assessment has very little to do with what your home could actually sell for in today's market. If your hoping to get an idea of what you home would sell for in the current market, I would be happy to complete a market analysis for your home at no cost or obligation.

Ray Erins
Weichert Realtors
(973) 903-2862
If it's not assessed properly and your town has not gone through a revaluation, you've missed the deadline to challenge it.
All towns are allowed to be off the mark by 15% which is a very big spread. So you need to find comparable homes that match your house and see what they sold for. They have to be true arms length transactions which means no short sales or foreclosures. So say if a three bedroom in Sparta sold for 360,000 the tax assessor is allowed to come in 15 % higher so add another 54,000 to that number and the tax assessor can say your house is worth 414,000.

Not all towns are up to date. Either your house gets reassessed when it sells or every 10 years usually