How To... in 33351>Question Details

Mmart, Other/Just Looking in 33351

is it legal of a register sex offernder to be part of the HOA board of directors? considering there are quite many under age children leaving my comp

Asked by Mmart, 33351 Sat Mar 13, 2010

1 vote Share Flag How To... in 33351

Answers

8
This is at George... condo's usually require an approval but HOAs in Florida don't usually require approval of owners or tenants. It would be a good idea to have those restrictions, though. I wish our HOA restricted ownership!
To me, the real question is HOW DID THE SEX OFFENDER GET APPROVED TO LIVE IN THE H.O.A.? So, answer me that!!!
Check the rules of your association. It is not a state issue.
Web Reference: http://fredglick.com
Alma's correct. It depends on what your HOA documents say. My guess--without seeing them--is that it doesn't ban him/her. It probably says something like "any board member must be a home owner with all dues paid." It might impose some other limitations--maybe require that the person be a resident of the community (not an absentee landlord). It might, but likely not, specify that the board members not be convicted felons. So, you really have to read the documents.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Probably... it all depends on what your governing documents say.

Also do you know exactly what the "sex offense" was? It could be a case when he was 18 with a 17 year old disgruntled girlfriend that may have claimed she was raped when in fact she wasn't. Unfortunately you have to dig to get this information and sicko pre-pubescent multiple offense offenders get lumped together with less deviant offenders.

You may actually want to keep him busy on the Board if he is one of these heinous guys so he has less time to stalk your children!

I live in an HOA, too, and I would like to restrict ownership and rentals to prohibit Sex Offenders from residing in our neighborhood. Perhaps that is the campaign you should put your efforts into. If it can be done (legally or even if it's not legal, what the heck!) it may automatically increase your property values.

Good luck and keep a close eye on your kids.
I am not sure about the legality of this issue, but I sure wouldn't want them running my neighborhood.

Normally when someone decides to run for the Board of Directors they fill out a resume type document, stating why the community members should vote for them. I would be sure that this person states on their document that they are a registered sex offender. If no mention is made of this fact, Maybe somebody should go door to door and leave a "flyer" with the information printed off the interenet from the sex offenders website.

I hope you reach a satisfactory solution for your neighborhood.

Nadine Mauro
Realty Hub, Inc.
561-414-0864
NadineMauroRE@yahoo.com
http://www.floridahouseseller.com/
HOA boards are usually very selective in the appointing of their board members. I would contact the board and ask them to provide a reason why they would have such an individual on the board. You can always petition the other members to seek out a re-evaluation of the members.
Web Reference: http://www.soreal.biz
Mmart
WoW... I hope not. I do not know the legal answer but I know how I would combat that if that was my situation. Not sure it is legal so I better not suggest it but the registered sex offender would not be a happy camper.
Web Reference: http://www.di4homes.com