How To... in Astoria>Question Details

Bstefans1, Home Owner in Astoria, NY

Where do I find the best lease template for a landlord in New York for residential apartments (more than 4 units)?

Asked by Bstefans1, Astoria, NY Mon Jan 16, 2012

I need to give my tenants new leases (renewals) and I was using very outdated and "bad" leases that don't do nearly enough to protect me. I want to use a new lease that includes more assurance for myself and will stand up well in court should problems arise. I want to rewrite these leases using the new template and provisions for my tenants when they want to renew instead of continuing with the old lease templates.

Answers

4
Robbie Vaughn’s answer
You can find them all over the internet, but I suggest you consult with a landlord-tenant attorney. Ask what the owner of a building with 4 or more units must do differently than an owner of a 3 unit bldg. If they don't know....get a different attny. Good luck.
Web Reference: http://vaughnweberlaw.com
In order to best protect yourself, it's in your best interest to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate. If you need recommendations, feel free to contact me directly.
As a Realtor and an Astoria landlord myself, use an attorney to draw up your leases.

Realtors are NEVER to provide leases; it is against our Code.
Get one from a real estate agent. You want one that includes all the provisions that are required in Astoria--so finding a generic template online won't work. The ones used by agents are also going to be "landlord-friendly."

If you're willing to spend some money, probably the best approach is to have an attorney draft one for you.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA