How To... in Pennsylvania>Question Details

Connie, Other/Just Looking in Pennsylvania

What is the easiest, legal way to remove someone from the mortgage on a home?

Asked by Connie, Pennsylvania Mon Mar 9, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:


Speak with a lender or an attorney. Try not to get into legal issues, it will just get you into more trouble :)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 9, 2009
I was told today that it is easier to take someone's name off of a deed than it is to take them off a mortgage. The lender needs someone to be responsible for the loan. If two people have committed to the mortgage then those people remain responsible unless the lender allows the mortgage to be altered. Call your lender. Your mortgage is a legal and binding contract.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 9, 2009
Speak to your Lender, but most loans aren't assumable. If it is, you may be able to take it over, however, you may have to qualify for the mortgage on your own. It is a very time consuming process and in a lot of cases it may be easier to refinance the mortgage you currently have. I have worked on a lot of situations like this one.
I hope this helps. If you would like more information, feel free to contact me.
The very best of luck to you!


Michael D Delp
Mortgage Pro
4802 Old Bethlehem Pike,
Telford Pa. 18969
Ph- 215-453-1025
Fax- 215-453-1012
Cell- 610-762-0318
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 9, 2009
You must speak with your lender. Read your mortgage documents. You may want to have a real estate attorney go over your financial documents prior to speaking to your lender so he can advise you of your rights.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 9, 2009
You will probably have to refinance or change the loan with the bank if they are willing to do that. Refinancing is probably the only way that I know.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 9, 2009
You sell them a home they can't afford and then get them to agree to a mortgage where you can raise the interest rates at a later date.

Hope this helps, Dunes
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 9, 2009
Getting with the lender is the only way. They will let you know everything you need in order to get the person of the mortgage. If you also need to get the person off of the deed, then you will need to put in a Quit Claim deed and both signatures will be needed unless the person you are talking about is no longer of the realm. Then you will need the death certificate for proof.

Hope that helps,

Terrence Charest, e-Pro
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 9, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer