How To... in West Allis>Question Details

Cathy Glad, Other/Just Looking in West Allis, WI

What information and documentation is needed to dispute property taxes? What exactly is it that we do?

Asked by Cathy Glad, West Allis, WI Thu Dec 11, 2008

We just received our property tax bil. Our house is assessed at $169,900. We had an professional appraisal done in September this year because we are filing chapter 13 bankruptcy. Our house was assessed at $83,000 because it is in need of extensive repairs. Can we have our taxes lowered because the value has dropped so much?

Help the community by answering this question:


First, I'm sorry to hear of your circumstances. The first thing you should do is to document what repairs your home needs, and if you do have photos that would help.
I am assuming what you meant to say in your question is that your Assessed Value (for taxes) is 169,900. But that the new appraised value is $83,000. You will want to make a copy of your appraisal and the comparable homes that the appraiser used to determine your value.
Contact the West Allis Appraiser, and make an appointment to bring them your documentation.

They will then most likely make an appointment to come view your home, and start the review of your assessed value.
It's definitely worth a try. I had 6 Buyers last year successfully contest their assessments and get their taxes lowered.
Here's the link to the West Allis Assessor's Office:
All the Best to You!
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 11, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer