How To... in 94080>Question Details

Don Tarkingt…, Renter in San Francisco County,...

What are the pit falls of a leasing to own a home?

Asked by Don Tarkington, San Francisco County, CA Mon Sep 20, 2010

0 votes Share Flag How To... in 94080

Answers

3
Leasing To Own Solutions’ answer
Hey there Don...

Man...it's been wayyyyy too long since I've been on here answering questions for people. But have no fear....the "Lease-to-Own" Guy is here! :P

ANYWAY, here is a link (that I dug out from the "way-back machine") that lays out all the pro's and con's from the Seller's AND Buyer's point of view.

http://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_Buying/Is_lease_to_buy_a_g…

A Lease-to-Own is not for everyone, but by educating yourself and evaluating your own situation, many times, it can be a useful tool to buy or sell a property. If you need any more information, just dig up some old posts from my Q&A. Many of those should be helpful as well.

Best wishes & Laus Deo,

Darin Ray
Lease-to-Own Professional
Independent Consultant
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 20, 2010
If your are the buyer, the downside is the possibility that you can't get financing at the end of the lease and therefore lose the "option" money you put up at the beginning of the lease,( if any).

The deed doesn't transfer til sale, so be certain you have a clause restricting the owner from encumbering the land beyond your strike price.

In many cases you are responsible for all upkeep of the house, so be certain any fix-it necessary is affordable for you.

Be clear on whether you pay tax and insurance or not, but be certain it is in writing which one of you is doing this.

This will possibly become a very popular option in the New American Economy. So good for you to be checking it out, before the competition kicks in!

Cheers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 20, 2010
Hi Don, I don't think there are any pit falls if you are the tenant / buyer. If the property maintains it's value or appreciates, you purchase the property.

If it goes down in value, you don't have to purchase it. The only downside is you may have paid a little bit more per month for the option.

Tap
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 20, 2010