How To... in Boston>Question Details

Trulia Boston, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

Realtors, agents, brokers, property managers. Licensed, unlicensed. What is the meaning of all these terms?

Asked by Trulia Boston, Boston, MA Tue Feb 19, 2013

Answers

6
Basic answer is that they are all required to have a certain type of license to the work that they provide for you. In our state (Hawaii) they all require to have a license for the work they provide.
Ethics is a whole other issue for even licensed agents/brokers/Realtors/Property Managers. The best place to start to find a good reputable agent/broker/property manager is from your own sources or sphere of influence. Family, Friends or co workers is the best place start. These referrals are the will provide your best source to find someone with ethics or a conscience of their job.

Best of Luck in your search.
I agree with Rafael that every one need a license except property management.

Best Of Luck
Respectfully Ellen, I spent my first 7 years as a REALTOR® (GRI, CBR, e-PRO, LMC and Advanced LMC) and served on the local Board as well as numerous committees.

I've been on both sides of the equation and speak from personal experience.

I came into the job with my own ethics and they didn't change when I became a REALTOR®, nor did they change when I stopped being a REALTOR®.

There is no guarantee that the REALTOR® will uphold the REALTOR® Code of Ethics. I could list experiences where the REALTOR® on the other side of the table violated the REALTOR® Code of Ethics, just as I could list experiences where a Real Estate Agent or Broker behaved unethically.

An Agent does not have to be a REALTOR® to do the job well, or behave ethically.

"Reputation is what other's know about you, honor is what you know about yourself." says it all...

j
All the above except for property managers need to be licensed. Even though a property manager should have some sort of experience as well as should get some schooling via certifications.
Nobody without a real estate license can act as a real estate agent. A property manager may or may not have a real estate license. A Realtor is a member of the National Association of Realtors as well as the Massachusetts Assocation of Realtors and the Greater Boston Association of Realtors and is required to not only pay dues but also comply with their code of ethics. You want your real estate agent, whether an agent or a broker, to be a Realtor.

Ellen Friedman, ABR (Accredited Buyer Representative)
Vice-President, Keller Williams Realty
http://www.ellenfriedmanhomes.com
REALTOR® is a brand, it means the licensed individual pays dues to the National Association of REALTORS® and to the State Association of REALTORS® and to the local Board of REALTORS®.

It is *not* the job, but many people think it is.

You must be a licensed real estate agent to sell real estate. You do not have to be a REALTOR® to sell real estate.

A licensed agent is the "entry level" for the job. A Broker has a higher level of training. You must work as a licensed sales agent for a Broker for 3 years before you can take the Broker training and then exam to become a Broker.

There's no such thing as an unlicensed real estate agent.

j