How To... in 20011>Question Details

Inthecity, Both Buyer and Seller in 20011

Own a home, not aware that my name is not on the deed, but I pay the mortgage and taxes, what do I do.Bought five years ago. Need Help!!!

Asked by Inthecity, 20011 Wed Oct 6, 2010

Wanted to rent out my home and my realtor informed me that my house was not in my name. I pay the mortgage, and taxes on the property and never knew until now that my name was not deed with city. Dont know what to do.

0 votes Share Flag How To... in 20011

Answers

5
Call the settlement co. an attorney and your realtor (some companies keep paperwork of 5 years and beyond...they may have your original offer/ratified contract documentation). Wish you luck.
Without much information-- your best source of advice is an attorney who specializes in real estate--do have a consultation and go from there.
Who IS on the deed?

Pull out your settlement package supplied by the title company or escrow agent when you purchased the home.

It is possible that the deed was not recorded - and a simple phone call can fix the problem.

Call the title attorney you settled with and explain the problem. They can probably resolve the problem quickly.

If you like the answer - please consider making it a "Best Answer" !

Gerard Dunn
Associate Broker
Licensed in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Assisting Homebuyer's and Seller's for 28 years
703-216-9100
Inthecity,
As Kevin said, there are a lot of unanswered questions. I have a few of my own.

Did you “take over” the mortgage payments and taxes from the previous owner? This is NOT the same as actually buying the house. If this is what you did, there would not have been a closing (settlement) at a title company or attorney’s office. There also would not have been any documents, such as a new deed and new mortgage recorded, since no actual sale would have taken place.

If you DID actually purchase the home, and obtained a new mortgage, you should have had a closing with a title company or attorney, and they should have not only conducted your closing, but also drawn up a new deed, showing you as the new owner, and recorded the deed in the public records at the courthouse for your county.

Five years ago was a very busy time in real estate. In many places, the real estate “boom” was in full swing. It’s possible that, with all the activity taking place, your deed and mortgage “slipped through the cracks” and were not recorded.

If you had a closing with a title company or attorney, contact that company , so they can look into your closing, and correct things, if needed. If you didn’t close through a title company or attorney, you may want to contact one now. Good luck.

Warm regards,
Maggie Hawk, REALTOR
Watson Realty Corp.
You need to talk with a title company or an attorney (possibly both) to figure this out. There is a lot of missing information that would make this a much more complete picture. Even with all of the information I would still recommend talking to a title company and an attorney