How To... in San Antonio>Question Details

Butterfly, Other/Just Looking in San Antonio, TX

My mother died last year and my brother and myself want to transfer the title in his and my name where do we

Asked by Butterfly, San Antonio, TX Fri May 29, 2009

need to take care of this at?

Answers

5
Dominick Dina, MA, REALTOR®, GRI, e-PRO, TAHS, Broker/Owner’s answer
Hi Butterfly,

Just to clarify some of the comments made by myself and other Texas real estate agents: we are not allowed to provide legal advice. It is a violation of the law governing our licensure. We pay close attention to advice given so not to have our license placed in jeopardy. Just so you know. We do not want you to spend more money than is necessary.

Dominick Dina, Brokerr/Owner
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 30, 2009
Butterfly,

Our recommendation is to contact an attorney for their support.

Hi Butterfly,

My condolences on your loss.

You did not mention if your mother left a will. This may be critical in transferring title to you and your brother.

As mentioned, a good real estate attorney would be the best course of action. Call me if you need a reference.

Dominick Dina, Broker/Owner
(210) 273-9082
You will need to contact an attorney. They will be able to ask you several question to identify what process you will need to take in transferring the property.
Butterfly - Go to your local Title company. For a small fee they will help you do this. Now you may also be able to do this at the Clerks office, but unless you know the history of the deed and what might have been done while your mother was living is why I suggest the Title company. They can do a guick title search to make sure everything is okay.

Also, if you are in or went through probate, this is normally something that is done for you.
Web Reference: http://www.jdavidryan.com