How To... in Brooklyn>Question Details

Eliami11, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

My landlord is undergoing forclosure & hasnt paid any bills in the house i had 2put dheat & hot water in my name due to marshalls seizing do

Asked by Eliami11, Brooklyn, NY Tue Dec 6, 2011

i hv 2 to contiue to pay her rent

Answers

5
Anna Brocco’s answer
Do you have a lease...if so you need to continue paying in accordance to the agreement; for any necessary legal advice, consult with an attorney who specilizes in real estate. In addition you may wish to consider looking for a new home...
"Can I stop paying my rent if my landlord is facing foreclosure?

Probably not.

You are not justified in withholding rent that is due “solely” because you received a notice that your landlord is facing foreclosure."

See the link below, but also see an attorney...you MAY have a defense to paying the rent...
so even if she doesnt pay the bills in the house and I the tenant am paying the bills she is still entitled to the remainder of the rent portion
As is the case with my Centennial homes and Parker homes and nationally, you are reqired to pay rent as long as you live there.
As long as you live in the house this is your responsibility to pay your rent.