How To... in San Anselmo>Question Details

Springtime, Other/Just Looking in San Anselmo, CA

My friend's husband is hiding financial info from her. How can she research mortgages on their 2 properties in California?

Asked by Springtime, San Anselmo, CA Fri Jun 17, 2011

My friend thinks they have 2 mortgages on each of their properties. Her husband won't give her any straight answers. They want to list for sale one of the homes, but she has been told that both properties may be "tied up" with the other (as collateral perhaps).

Answers

6
A title search will show any liens on the property.

Also, if there is more involved beyond the possible mortgages on the homes ..........a forensic accountant can gather the information you need.

Springtime, you should hire a private investigator. In very practical terms, you won't find out all you need to know by asking questions on the internet - especially since we're talking about matters concerning several hundred thousands of dollars.

Springtime:

Have your friend send me an email with both property addresses asking to research the two properties on her behalf and I'll take a look at the current status.

Best, Steve
I would be extremely careful about advising anyone to run a credit report on anyone else without their consent, married or not. Even in a community property states such as California, credit records are individual and there may be undesired legal consequences to obtaining a report without proper authorization.
Mortgages are public record, all she has to do is look up records in the counties the properties are in and search his name in those public records, it will show mortgage info, when it was recorded and with the help of a Realtor you can figure out the mortgage amount by the recording stamp fee. Off the relator lunch or a small fee to do you the favor, or ask a Realtor friend for the info!
She should run a credit report on she and her husband.
And she may go to the county recorder's office and do a search on her properties.
A title company or her favorite real estate agent may be able to provide this information as well through the title companie's search engine.

These searches require a login and pass word.

Institutional mortgage lenders would not allow a mortgage to be placed on the property without the spouse's knowledge.

Private mortgage would be a different story.