How To... in San Diego>Question Details

Bonnie, Other/Just Looking in San Diego, CA

My boyfriend and I have lived together for over 18 months. Our relationship is not working out and I want

Asked by Bonnie, San Diego, CA Sat Jul 19, 2008

him to leave. He pays rent each month equal to half the mortgage and we share expenses for food and repairs. We live in San Diego, CA and he says I have to give him 60 days notice. What do I do?

Answers

8
No legal advice here. But some practical advice instead. Give him the 60 days. Have him sign something saying he must leave by a certain date.. Then suffer for 2 months and be free.
It would be better to have him agree to leave with the proper legal papers signed.

p.s. burn everything he wants to eat. ;)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 17, 2009
Bonnie, This is a question for an attorney. I would have to say if it's uncomfortable for both of you in your current living situation one of you should move out until you have it figured out. If it's your home that you own he should be respectful and move out. Hire a good attorney for good advice on this sticky situation.

Dawn Lewis
http://www.dawnsellssandiego.com/
If he's been living there and claims it as his address, the police can't just tell him to leave. Did you create a lease? Verbal or non verbal? I know of 2 GREAT attorneys that I LOVE. Contact them and see what you should do:

LIsa Y. Forbes (858)459-0581
Michael Spilger (619)232-7761
Bonnie,
Most of the answers are correct in that you need to contact an attorney, preferrably Real Estate, that deals with evictions.

HOWEVER!! If it is your house, and he won't leave when you ask him to....you could call the police.
I would consult an attorney because there are too many variables. If you collect money from him he is technically a tenant. If he pays monthly you would require a 30 day eviction notice. You can get forms online or at your office supply store. However in order to be specific with California law, definately take the free consultation with an attorney who practice landlord tenant law. Be smart and do it right, dont let emotions cost you time and money.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
chcek out this website: it will answer all your questions...
What you need to dois rent out his room to another guy when he goes out of town Collect both rents and hope he gets the point.
Consult an attorney that deals in eviction. I am not an attorney and not giving legal advice here, but if you go with his theory, then every domestic partnership would have an extremely hard time breaking up!

Why would he want to stay where he is not wanted? I know there is a website where you can ask legal questions much like Trulia. I cannot think of the name of it but I used it one time and it was a good experience.

Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com